Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wallpaper paste residue

Posted by suel41452 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 14:10

I removed the 40 year old thick, woven wallpaper in a small bath so it could be re-papered. It pulled off easy as pie, but there's a residue left behind, you can't see it but you can feel it - like sandpaper. I assume it's paste residue. It's on top of painted & plastered drywall. The installer I may use suggested he would sand it off the wall before re-papering.
I've had enough bad advice from contractors to seek 2nd opinions now!! I'd rather sand it off myself because I'd do a thorough job. Or should it be removed another way? Any advice is appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wallpaper paste residue

I found it more effective to wet the residue down with a spray bottle of wallpaper remover, and then use a razor blade in a holder to gently scrape it off. You will need a light touch and you must hold the blade almost parallel to the wall, but the residue scrapes off very easily when its wet/damp.

Its a slow, tedious job, but not really very hard. Sanding it might also work, but you will probably have a lot of dust.

Bruce

o

Oo ohh, this post brought back memories! Our first house had layers and layers of wall paper. A three bedroom with nine foot ceilings. We scraped every wall to remove it all.

As posted above, we found that spraying and using a razor blade with a handle (a scraper?) worked best. We would spray and let sit for a bit then come back. We ended up with quite a system. Oh boy though, every time I see wallpaper in a house we look at I get the shivers. :)

o

bcarlson, I guess I'll try your method first, is there a wallpaper remover you'd recommend?
Famcook, that sounds exhausting!!! I can see why you'd hate wallpaper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here