Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
normal process for choosing subcontractors?

Posted by phrog (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 13:46

We have a contractor for our remodeling, but I'm new to this game.. Is he supposed to choose the subcontractors, or give us choices, or let us find them?

This came up because he chose a furnace installer who turned out to be totally unresponsive to our requests for info. Now the contractor wants to use another he knows. In both cases, they're unknown to me.

I thought it would be good to use a recognizable plumbing & heating company that's been recommended on our community message board.

The contractor says the smaller guys will be cheaper and he has never had problems with them before. But I don't know -- maybe he owes them a favor, or has some other reason for choosing them?

Should we just say, "We'd like you to get an estimate from Company X"? Or get the estimate ourselves? I don't know what the standard protocol is. Are we collaborating with him or are we expected to trust these decisions to him?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: normal process for choosing subcontractors?

If you pick the subcontractors, what do you need the GC for? That IS one of his biggest responsibilities. If you hire the subcontractors, then you are also responsible for their work, not him. Many people do choose to self GC renovations and hire all of the trades themselves. But, they usually have some good DIY background and extra time to oversee the project. If that doesn't fit you, then back off and let your contractor do the job you hired him to do. And if you need information about the material or the process, you talk to the GC first before you call the sub. That may be why the sub never talked with you. You broke protocol on that and he was wary about that boding poorly for the project ahead. EVERYTHING goes through the GC, or he may miss vital information that he needs for another portion of the job or to schedule another trade properly.

o
RE: normal process for choosing subcontractors?

"We have a contractor for our remodeling"

So, you contracted with a business that you feel is competent enough to complete your project.

If you are unaware of the "add-nausium" discussions on these boards of the importance of specifications, perhaps you could, NOW, take the time to educate yourself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here