Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coating for rigid foam insulation

Posted by alpenglow (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 17, 07 at 13:32

Hello, we still have ugly blue foam rigid insulation on our concrete kneewall on the foundation of a walk-out basement addition we had built three years ago. I am looking for any Fairly Easy ideas on how to cover this foam. Someone mentioned a special stucco-type process, but that was very involved and did not sound like fun. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coating for rigid foam insulation

A synthetic stucco finish on polystyrene foam insulation is called Exterior Insulation & Finish System (EIFS). Contemplating how to do it yourself has caused this insulation to be exposed to UV radiation for far too long. It's losing it's R value as we discuss it. Hire a pro and it will look good, last a long time and be done in a day.

o

Quikcrete makes a foundation coating product hjust for your application. I found a link to their website with instructions. It should be a easy DIY project

Here is a link that might be useful: quikcrete

o

Note that the powdery deterioration due to exposure from the sun must be removed from the insulation before applying the coating. I really don't recommend the use this kind of material by a do-it-yourselfer but good luck with it.

o

Note that the powdery deterioration due to exposure from the sun must be removed from the insulation before applying the coating. I really don't recommend the use this kind of material by a do-it-yourselfer but good luck with it.

o
again?

Don't make me say it again! LOL

o

Pete and repeat went across the bridge. Pete fell off. Who was left?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here