Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
osakans

Wallpaper on Doors?

osakans
13 years ago

We're building the doors off our family room so the doors are flush with the wall and "hidden" although they have visible handles. We'd like to wallpaper that whole wall and run the wallpaper on to the doors. The doors will be slab masonite doors. Is there any special treatment the doors need to be suitable to receive wallpaper and its adhesive? For example, do the doors need to have a layer of gypsum wallboard attached to them to receive the paper?

Thanks much in advance.

Comments (8)

• don92
    13 years ago

Isn't there just some other way you could disguise the doors, if thats your intent, or dress them up with moldings? You could make them less obvious by painting them one of the background colors of the wall paper. I heard someone tried doing what you suggest once and they got some serious jail time.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

If you ever intend to sell the house, such a door treatment would be a real liability. Please consider something more neutral, like painting. I've only seen something like this once before when a relative wallpapered each individual louver on some closet doors...it was godawful.

• User
    13 years ago

Just give the door surfaces a coat of BIN primer applied with a roller.

And apply the wall paper. It will look neat if you can also cover the door molding.

If you remove the door handle hardware before applying the wall paper, you won't even need to trim there.

Of course, anyone wanting to change the room is gonna cuss you, but anyone dealing with wallpaper on the walls cusses the installer anyways!

At least with doors and trim, it is easily replaced!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Osakans - did you ever do this? Any pictures? One of the houses we lived in growing up (fabulous 4 story villa in Switzerland) had wallpapered doors on the main floor. (we always thought of them as hidden) I loved them!

I found this post because I thought about doing it for on our attic door.

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

My personal view is that it looks bad unless you are living in Versailles. Additionally, the paper will eventually get worn and soiled around the door knobs. When it came time to sell, you'd have to get rid of it, and removing the wallpaper and refinishing the doors properly could be a lot of work.

I had a relative who liked her velour wallpaper so much that she spent days putting the paper on all the slats of a 4-door set of bifolds, and all around the frames. As someone once said about a dog trained to walk on its hind legs: "The issue is not whether it is done badly or well, but why it is done at all.

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 20:47

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

The door should be fine if it is primed and painted, similar to how a wall is primed before papering.

This type of treatment has a long history. Hidden doors are called jib doors, and they were hidden to deemphasize them

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

More modest