Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on windows - muntins or no muntins FL home

Posted by geosulcata (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 12:55

We are going to be putting in a window where a chimney was. We will eventually be replacing all windows on the house, so the style of window we choose for the area where the chimney was could affect the whole look of the house. We aren't sure whether to use side sliding windows with no muntins or vertically hung windows with muntins. The problem we are having is some windows are short and very wide, others are taller than they are wide, and some are just huge (the two covered by the palm trees at the front of the house.

Our home is in FL and the neighborhood is homes on 2 acres with all sorts of houses and window styles from ultra modern to FL cracker style.

I would love suggestions!

Untitled

Untitled

The photo below shows where the chimney is 1/2 way down. This window will be 63"x63"

Untitled

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on windows - muntins or no muntins FL home

I'd do no muntins over a bunch. The window in the front of the house looks perfect because it accentuates the sexy long low ranchiness of the house (really--the front of that house is perfect!). I'd want to keep any rectangles going horizontal, but that's not always practical in bathrooms or over the sink. So do keep them functional! (I can't open a double hung over a sink because I'm too short.) They don't have to all be exactly the same.

If you're keeping it authentic and not planning to deranch it (people do that! I wouldn't with yours.) simple windows are best.

o

no to the muntins, p.i.a. to clean the windows with muntins

o

Another vote for no muntins.

o

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here