Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roof and shutter color with Timberbark siding

Posted by RHC247 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 12:47

I am replacing the siding and roof of my 34 yr old 2 story, 5 BR colonial on a half-acre semi-wooded lot on southeast PA. I like timberbark (dark brown) hardieplank with black shutters and a black roof. My contractor thinks this combo is too dark. He suggests adding a second lighter brown (maybe taupe) color siding for the second floor and a brown roof. I suppose this means brown shutters as well.

Is it weird to add a second siding color when I don't have much by way of architectural detail to highlight (there is a band of white trim between the first and second floor as well as a slight overhang)?

Does a dark brown roof really make a difference in terms of heat absorption vs a black roof?

Any thought on the above color combos? I am really struggling with this one. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roof and shutter color with Timberbark siding

Do you have a photo of your house? It would help greatly!

o

Sure, but I'm new at this. I'll take a look at the directions and put up a photo. Thanks!

o

I agree Black is a safe bet and you get to paint the house any color you want at any time.

My contractor talked me into going with a gray shade and the house looks great I love the combination.

I live in Sudbury, Ma and my contractor Renier Semprum performed a superb roofing and siding job.

Last year he replaced the asphault shingles and the wood board siding of my house and this year he did some more carpentry work and painted the whole house. We also had him replace our front door and it really gave the house a pristine look.

If you live in Massachusetts, around the Sudbury, Framingham area dont waste any time.

Here is his contact info and he is always available www.RandRrebuilders.com
his name is Renier Semprum.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.randrrebuilders.com

o

What type of stain do you have over the wooden siding along the house? If that's a pretty good sealant and is darker in tone than usual, in my opinion, I feel the styles you suggested wouldn't be too dark at all. But if you wanted to go lighter in tone, maybe test out a beige shingle against the the darker ones and see which works best. Either way, if you like the style you thought up before and you're comfortable with it, then I say go for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roofing KC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here