Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamojean

Moldy sheetrock in basement - how to dispose?

dreamojean
11 years ago

We found uninstalled sheetrock leaned up against an exterior door in our basement that had gotten mold between the sheetrock sheets. I carried it outside of the house carefully, and now it is leaning against an outside fence outside our house waiting for me to figure out what to do with it. It got rained on this weekend so hopefully dissipated some of the mold. But I have no idea if this mold is toxic or not and finding out will cost hundreds of dollars when I'm thinking we just dispose of it. Is this right? Can we just put sheetrock out with the trash, even if it doesn't fit into the garbage and even if it has 12"x12" sections that are clearly discolored? (It is mostly grey and black mold).

And I wonder if this means our cellar has potential air quality or other mold issues. My sense is that it was contained but some of the floor under where the sheetrock was has black soot (the floor is cement painted grey- I have no idea why the prior owners painted the cement as paint won't stick to floor cement so it is peeling and yucky). I have an environmental firm I can call but figured to ask online first.

Comments (2)