Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shorten half wall?

Posted by randekasp (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 12:32

Bathroom down to studs. Shower has one half wall that has unfortunately already been set with concrete. I think it is 3-4 inches too high, which doesn't seem like I should worry, but has ramifications for rest of small room. Is it possible to shorten/ shave without demolition? Thank you..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shorten half wall?

This is confusing - esp. without pictures. Removing part of a wall is demolition, no? and it depends what is in the wall. Where is the plumbing?

o

Thank you. I apologize for confusion; posted in haste- always a mistake.
The wall is 45 inches tall as is, without topper/ tile. Intuitively, it just feels too tall for the small space, as well as complicating plan to have shower tile (white subway) continue around room at same height. I realize that this would bring the niche to top of half-wall, thinking this is not a problem. ?
Other options that I can think of would be to tile entire area, tile outside half-wall, or simply drywall outside of shower. Facing side of room is 6ft long double vanity that will have same counter material (quartz) as shower niche as well as quartz backsplash, or white subway tile backsplash. Thank you. If you can follow this i am indebted! Can you tell that I am a bit overwrought? :)

This post was edited by randekasp on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 16:43

o

You should ask the person who put it in what is involved in lowering it. I don't understand why it would complicate the tiling situation. If you imagine tile going up all of the bathroom walls with tile to the same height as the pony wall, isn't that good? I think it would look nice.
I think it looks a bit tall too, but it may be necessary to avoid splashing the toilet. It's hard to tell from your photo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here