Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spray foam insulation

Posted by kashka_kat (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 12:29

Sorry to cross post but I'm a bit in a hurry to find out what differences there are between the expensive two part closed cell foam you'd pay someone to do (icynene or polyurethane) and the Great Stuff you get in a can.... which I believe is also closed cell?

All I have is a 3 x 12 area, about 3-4 inches deep and the quotes are as you might imagine quite high.

BTW, why do all estimates come in increments of $500 or $1000 these days? It used to be 10-12 yrs ago that estimates reflected actual costs and increments of time, so I'd get estimates like $400, or $700, or $800 for stuff. Now they all round up.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/oldhouse/msg0210164921017.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spray foam insulation

Describe the "3x12 area" in more detail.

o

This follow up may be too late, but, We just got a quote for our addition w/3" closed cell foam for $2933 including ceiling and foundation. We are in Nebraska. The great stuff is essentially the same stuff. It's unlikely you'd be able to get the flow rate right or buy enough cans to save on price. there are some "do it yourself" products out there. We are DIYers but these options don't seem to be worth it for us.

We had the underdeck of our old house attic sprayed. Drastically improved the comfort of our home and reduced our heating by 10%.

o

You can also get the pink rigid form board panels at HD or Lowe's, cut them close to the opening you need to fill, and then spray foam the gaps on the sides with great stuff or similar. It's the cheap man's way of getting spray foam in a small area. Larger areas will probably not be so fun to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here