Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Load-bearing wall support

Posted by PatricioJ1 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 12:28

I'm trying to open up one side of my stairwell leading to the basement. It's a load-bearing wall because a joist rests on the top plate. However, the joist runs parallel to the top plate, not perpendicular. So my question is: how am I suppose to support that joist when I go to install my beam?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Load-bearing wall support

Just because the wall you are removing is under a floor joist, does not necessarily define the joist or wall as load bearing.
If there is a wall above this joist, in standard framing, the joist would be doubled, there-by transferring the load created by the wall to it's bearing ends.
If there is not a wall above, the wall in the basement could be a natural partition intended to define a separate space in the basement/

o
RE: Load-bearing wall support

Unless you are very confident (and competent) in structural design and analysis of wood framed walls, get an engineer pr an architect to look at your wall before doing anything.

While floor joists parallel to a wall often mean that the joist load is being carried by the supports at the ends of the joists, there could easily be a framed wall and/or posts above the wall in question that are bearing on it. It that case it would be good practice to double up the joist between the two walls, but who knows what the framer may have been thingking?

Much better to get a trained professional to evaluate the situation.

Good luck on your project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here