Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

taping a corner where plaster meets drywall

Posted by arnold4321 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 27, 10 at 12:23

I have a crack along the ceiling of a bedroom where a plaster wall meets a drywall ceiling. The crack was there when I moved into the house a few months ago. Looks like whoever taped the joint didn't do it right, but I'm not sure what they did wrong.

What's the best way to tape an inside corner where plaster meets drywall? Will paper tape work on plaster? Obviously it will work on the drywall side.

Are there any other products I should consider that will fill the crack and let me sand & paint over top? The crack is about 1/16 wide and about 15 feet long.


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: taping a corner where plaster meets drywall

I always spray, roll or brush a bonding agent (Link or Plasterweld) into cracks or old plaster edges before taping. I embed the tape (paper for corners) in a setting-type compound, like Durabond 90 (sets in 90 mins or less). So the second coat can go on the same day. For second coats you can use another setting-type compound, Easysand (setting time @ 90, 45, etc), or regular green-lid drywall mud. Finishing touches with regular mud, for ease of sanding. Since it's a ceiling corner, it would be all right to use the dust-reduced type of mud, which I do not recommend for general work as it is very soft, but at a ceiling it wouldn't see any rough handling. It could, of course, all be done with ordinary green-lid mud, but I have had a great track record with durabond for old plaster repairs.

RE: taping a corner where plaster meets drywall

I have been told that fiberglass tape is better for a plaster and drywall joint.I would do all else exactly as sombreuil posted.

RE: taping a corner where plaster meets drywall

The biggest problem with joining to old plaster is that it sucks moisture out of the compound so rapidly the setting compounds do not set correctly, and the pre-mixed mud does not stick to it very well, even with e bonding agent.

I use a bonding agent to cover large ares of old plaster, but getting it into a crack is so hit or miss it is rarely worth the trouble.

If you dampen the old plaster then wipe off any surface water after about 5 minutes the new setting compound will not get sucked dry and will set up properly.

For a small crack a hand spray bottle set to create a narrow spray (almost a stream) to get into the crack works well.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here