Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soffit issue

Posted by kaljr82 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 11:40

So here is the scenario.
I am finishing my basement and we have our main HVAC trunk line running right down the middle of the house along side the steel support beam. It spans just about 6 feet.

I need to build a soffit around it and am kind of stuck on what I should do. I am really wanting to be able to run the bottom 2x4's on their side to maximize headroom but the span seems pretty far for this application. There is plenty of spac about 2 feet in on on side to add some 2x4 for support, so really the longest span would be about 4 feet.

Thoughts??

One thing to keep in mind is I do have a bedrrom foor framed in under the ducts and only have about 2.5 inches from the bottom of the trunk line to the inside of the top door plate.

You think I could get by running the 2x4's on their sides? What if I added a layer of 1/2 inch osb between the framing and drywall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soffit issue

Built a 2x2 "ladder", attach it to the joists, and then run 2x2 or 2x4 to span between the 'ladders'.

Otherwise, a picture would help.

o

Picture 1

o

I have another picture coming.
I really just need to know if I would be fine spanning the width with 2x4's laying flat, or if I need them standing on edge for support? In order to not have to worry about a retrofit for the bedroom door, I really need them flat, but don't want to risk sagging in the future.

o

My thought is you should build 3 2x2 ladders. One to the right of the ductwork, one ito the left - between the duct and the pipes, and one left of the I beam. That will give you a support sorta in the middle - then a 2 x 4 laid flat would not sag.

I cut all the 'rungs' on the table saw at once - with the same rip fence setting. Then screwd them together. Just make sure the rungs don't fall on a joist so that it would interfere with attaching it to the joist.

Use a 2x4 16" OC - and attact the drywall.

o

If the framing is only supporting 1/2" drywall over a 4 ft span, 2x4's turned flat should be more than strong enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here