Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gidgetgirly

How long should a kitchen design plan take?

gidgetgirly
11 years ago

Hi! I'm getting a little frustrated, maybe it's just me. How long should a kitchen design plan take? I hired a very well known design firm to design my kitchen space just before Christmas. We're doing it hourly, and since they're in another state, it's email and phone correspondence.
I emailed them photos of exactly what I want, my dimensions and my blueprints. They're configuring the dimensions, and also I've asked them to help with lighting.
So far, we've had only one proper hour long phone conference and they sent me two simple pen drawings of the shape I want my island to be. Basically a rectangle was drawn on a piece of paper and a t shape, nothing to scale. Just shapes on paper.
I emailed the designer last Friday asking if we can have a phone conference, and if everything is ok as I haven't heard from them. I called and left a voice mail yesterday and no response yet.
They're not helping with appliances, hardware, finishes etc. simply the space plan and lighting.
The company is very well known, have been in magazines and I know they're very busy. I'm not a million dollar project, my kitchen isn't very large.

Is this typical of a large design firm? It's almost the end of February and all I've received is 2 floor plan shapes on paper and a one hour phone call.

Comments (17)

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

No, that's not typical of good communication from a pro. It IS typical of the timeline of a well known busy design shop though. Perhaps you might be happier with a more local smaller shop that can give you better attention and a faster timeline?

I've had the opportunity to do "long distance" design work, and something typically always goes wrong, usually on the customer's end. That doesn't mean the customer. Just their end. When you aren't there in person to verify the dimensions, or see the space in person, things on the work end sometimes forget to get communicated to the designer. Unless you have a pretty spectacular contractor on your end who is highly experienced in cabinets, who gives the dimensions in multiple locations across the whole kitchen, and is very experienced reading drawings, you run the risk of not getting what has been designed. To avoid that scenario (which can happen in any kitchen), I always have an in person consult with the installer, and he does a field verification before things are even ordered. That's almost impossible to do well long distance. Not completely impossible, but it does depend a lot of the contractor at your end.

• gidgetgirly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply live wire. It totally makes sense what you're saying, but there's no one on my end she will be communicating with other than me.

I've hired them simply for the layout look with measurements and lighting choices. I've already chosen my flooring, cabinet paint color, door style and all hardware, plumbing fixtures and appliances. I've chosen my countertops and backsplash tile. I've sent a photo of the exact range hood style I want as well as island style down to the toe kick.

I'm not downplaying the amount of time and work it takes to give me a professional plan, I'd just like a bit more communication.

In January I sent an email saying I'd be out of town, etc. no response. After a week, I emailed again and was told my email was missed and somehow went to spam. I've gotten two emails saying they'd call me to set up our next phone conference, no call ever came. I had replied that I'm available any time, any day and it never happened. Again, I emailed last Friday saying I hadn't heard from them, no reply. My voice mail from yesterday hasn't been acknowledged.

I have no doubt the final result will be fabulous, I'm just frustrated by the lack of communication with absolutely no timeline at all. With a $1000 retainer (paid) and at $150 an hour, I would have expected a bit more communication or at least a quick reply that they received my email/voice mail. This is a well known firm, who was recently featured on the cover of a popular magazine so it's not a scam as my husband is starting to think :(

• gidgetgirly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, did I post this in the wrong forum? If so, I apologize. Should I have posted this in the kitchen forum?

• jmc01
    11 years ago

Quit with the emails. Call them, speak to a live body, tell them you want the plans and ask when they'll be done.

• gidgetgirly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks jmc. I did that Wednesday morning. The secretary answered and said my designer was out of the office so I left a voice mail asking her to call me. No response. That's exactly my point.

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

I don't care how good you think their design will be, that horrid level of service would have been sufficient for me to cancel my order and go elsewhere long ago. I'm with you: it's less about the length of time and more about the abysmal communication. I am very loyal to those that serve me well and quickly leave those who don't.

• cbernot
    11 years ago

Just finished remodeling my kitchen 1 year ago. The design time took less than two weeks start to finish and $800. I ordered the cabinets my self, appliances, tile, countertops. Negotiated contractor pricing and saved a bundle. My kitchen looks like a $100,000 job and I completed it for $28000. Saved most on cabinets (50-75% based on quote -obtained 5). I found who the contractors used and ordered my self. Next I saved most on countertops (50%). Was able to afford a very high end kitchen for budget price. Kitchen too large for just one picture but here is a sample. Did reuse an existing dishwasher. Have pendants where there are two light bulbs on ceiling. Point is you can do much yourself and you should not submit yourself to lousy service.

• gidgetgirly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cbernot, wow! Thank you so much for the photo! It's beautiful! What countertops did you use around the perimeter?
    Im doing the same thing with ordering it all myself.
    I'm a very take-charge person when it comes to what style I want. That's why I'm so frustrated. I pretty much laid everything out for the designer, down to the toe kicks.

I don't have an immense crazy kitchen. I have an 8' wall (range), and a separate 9' wall (fridge), with a rectangular island in the middle. I do not understand what the wait is, and the lack of communication. We paid our $1000 deposit in full the week before Christmas. It's now March 1st. And all I have to show for it so far is a simple not-to-scale pencil drawing of a rectangular or t-shape island. I'm calling her again today. This is getting ridiculous.
    I'm really surprised too bc this is a very high profile design firm, they've been on the covers of many magazines, most recently a popular one this past month. Two designers were assigned to my project, not just one. I dont get it.

Anyway, do you have a link with more photos of your kitchen? I love it!

• cbernot
    11 years ago

Here are some more pictures. I also enclosed a screened in porch and turned that into my breakfast/casual dining area for our kind of entertaining. Was then able to take out a wall in between and open up the area. I also built a large pantry in my oversized laundry room that sits behind my kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Pictures

• cbernot
    11 years ago

Sorry I forgot the countertops. I used honed carrera marble (c or very white) on all countertops except island. Used honed blue pearl (completely indestructible and a nice substitute for soapstone--absolutely no hassles, no stains). Carrera does stain, I am a counter nazi, but have had no problems. Had two large pieces cut for either side of range (I have had this range for over 12 years) and that has prevented splatter and utensil stains near stove. I use placemats and shelf liner at bar for the kids and remove when guests come. Had one small grease stain-came up within 48 hours using poultice from wet white paper towels and baking soda left to dry on spot.

This post was edited by cbernot on Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 13:13

• gidgetgirly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: I called again this morning, spoke with the secretary (designer was out on a call). Told her exactly what was going on, and stressed I was very upset w/the lack of progress and communication. My deposit was paid in full on Dec 18th.
    Secretary agreed, understood exactly my point. Took notes and assured me she would speak with designer and have her call me immediately. It's now the end of their work day. The designer has not contacted me. And did I mention there was not one, but two designers assigned to my project?

I'm giving her until end of day Monday (just in case she didnt come back to the pffice today), then talking with the owner and asking for a refund of my $1000 retainer. I am disgusted.

• cbernot
    11 years ago

I would call the owner Monday. No excuse not to call you today. Everyone has cell phones. She has Saturday and Sunday to call you. Professionals will call on the weekend if they owe you a call.

• gidgetgirly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cbernot, I love your kitchen! Thank you so much for the link! It's stunning, you did a great job! I cannot believe you did it all for that price! Did you purchase new appliances (besides your existing dishwasher)? What brand of range do you have?
    I'm doing the honed carerra marble around my perimeter counters as well, with a wood topped island. I've been a little worried about stains too. Martha Stewart has a marble counter and she said just to relax about it. Hers has stained and she accepts it as 'history'. She says there are much more important things to worry about in life other than stained marble. Haha! I'm hoping to look at it like she does :)

• cbernot
    11 years ago

Invest in 3m diamond pad 200/400 and you can buff the etching out it you have any (practice on scrap piece first heavier grit then lighter grit). Staining is not the issue as much as etching from acidic foods lemons/soy/vinegar/etc. All staining has come out so far with either ajax with bleach or poultice.

Appliances: I owned the commercial range it is a thermador dual fuel. If you are looking at professional series (with a computer) invest in a whole house transient surge protector (500 installed). These stoves computers short during storms without one. Also never use a self-cleaning mode--too hot for the computers. I bought a samsung french door refrigerator on sale at lowes (12-1300)-I have been very pleased with it. They wine refrigerator is kitchenaid I found 50% off (750). Dishwasher bosch on sale stainless steal 700 at lowes. I waited for sales then bought and stored. I also have a friend who purchased some really nice appliances shopping outlets (scratch and dent). Could not see the imperfections. Check plumbing supply houses such as fergusons-I would negotiate 25-30% discount on plumbing items. Sinks I shopped. The island sink is small but quite deep-found it online for 350 dollars I think. My large sink I negotiated with a local specialty appliance dealer.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

The phone works on the weekends too. I just finished answering a call from an installer about the materials that were ordered for one job that he's working on today. If you can't even get a response on the front end, do you think you'll get a response on the hind end when there might possibly be even more questions to be answered or problems to be solved?

If the retainer was on credit card, start the disputation process now. If check, camp out in the office Monday until they write you one to get you to stop talking to the other clients as to what kind of poor service they provide.

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

You sound like a very capable person who wants to be involved on all levels. Why not find a local designer with whom you can collaborate on the design of your kitchen? You have already done everything but place the cabinets and their trim into a layout. If you have a simple design, without furniture legs and spacers galore, you can practically do it yourself with assistance from the cabinet shop. I did this with my first kitchen, done with simple cabinetry. The brother (family cabinetry shop) who did the measuring came to our house and he and my husband and I designed the kitchen on the spot. I had drawings of what I wanted, too. With our second kitchen, I bought a pre-existing kitchen and designed a layout that worked with the cabs I bought. My carpenter and I saw a place where we needed a spacer, and he designed a couple of cabs to fill in where we did not get needed cabs with the kitchen.

But I am a spacially gifted person who has had the luck to find good people to work with. I draw everything out on graph paper and measure my spaces multiple times. I also used a cabinetry booklet from one of the big box stores to learn about sizes of "standard" cabs and see basic layouts.

I would consider checking with your cabinet manufacturer about layout help before you hire a new designer. You have already done so much design work. I imagine a designer will want to give you opinions on your choices, at the very least. If you don't want that, hire someone for the layout, not for the whole "design." Go over to the Kitchens Forum and start reading. You may find so much help there that you feel confident without an all-out designer on the project. You just seem very independent, which makes me wonder if you want to work with a designer, or a simple lay-out person.