Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best choices for window and door trim / moulding

Posted by BlackAce (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 11:10

So, we moved into our new semi-custom home last fall, and are preparing to tackle some new projects this spring.

Our builder used your typical pre-hung doors (8') with 2.5" trim throughout the house. Our ceilings are 10'. We have 5.25" baseboards throughout and while I haven't gotten up to measure the crown moulding, it looks to be the same or slightly taller than the baseboards. No shoe-mould anywhere in the house.

Of course I wish that the trim around the doors was larger to match the baseboards, but it isn't. With that disparity in mind, we are struggling to determine the best trim size to use around our windows, as well as around the sliding glass doors.

The sliding glass doors are 3 panel, and the opening is 12'x8'. The front door trim does match the baseboards, so we are thinking of doing the same for the sliders. There are no other doors or windows nearby to conflict.

Any thoughts on trim sizes for either the sliders or the windows?

Additionally, I've seen that some people put trim along the inside of the window as well, while some people just paint it. Our wall texture is orange peel, so I'm thinking that painting is out for us? Is there a thin trim piece that I can mount on the inside of the opening, without having to rip out the drywall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best choices for window and door trim / moulding

Architectural trim and mouldings vary with the architectural style of the house. Colonials differ from contemporaries, etc.

Generally speaking, base trim is often the largest, with cove moulding (where it may occur) often the second largest trim piece.

Window and door trim (head, jamb, sill and stool) are generally somewhat smaller than either base or cove. Of course, there are all sorts of options and choices, so this is only a starting point. I would not make window and door trim equal in any sort of historic period house.

I don't understand your last paragraph about window "inside" trim. Are you saying that you have no trim on your existing windows? Hope this helps.

Good luck with your project.

o
RE: Best choices for window and door trim / moulding

Thanks for your feedback. You're absolutely right, I should have mentioned the interior style, which I would say is mainly traditional but with and up-to-date contemporary flair. Open plan, two story family room and lots of light throughout. Arch openings over all doors and passageways.

What I meant about the trim on the inside of the window, I meant on the sides perpendicular to the glass itself, currently painted drywall. I don't have my terminology down, but I'm sure there is a name for this area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here