Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackace_gw

Best choices for window and door trim / moulding

BlackAce
11 years ago

So, we moved into our new semi-custom home last fall, and are preparing to tackle some new projects this spring.

Our builder used your typical pre-hung doors (8') with 2.5" trim throughout the house. Our ceilings are 10'. We have 5.25" baseboards throughout and while I haven't gotten up to measure the crown moulding, it looks to be the same or slightly taller than the baseboards. No shoe-mould anywhere in the house.

Of course I wish that the trim around the doors was larger to match the baseboards, but it isn't. With that disparity in mind, we are struggling to determine the best trim size to use around our windows, as well as around the sliding glass doors.

The sliding glass doors are 3 panel, and the opening is 12'x8'. The front door trim does match the baseboards, so we are thinking of doing the same for the sliders. There are no other doors or windows nearby to conflict.

Any thoughts on trim sizes for either the sliders or the windows?

Additionally, I've seen that some people put trim along the inside of the window as well, while some people just paint it. Our wall texture is orange peel, so I'm thinking that painting is out for us? Is there a thin trim piece that I can mount on the inside of the opening, without having to rip out the drywall?

Comments (2)