Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summer71_gw

What would you do??

summer71
12 years ago

We ripped out pergo in our kitchen two months ago. We used a guy who refinished our existing wood floors when we moved into the house almost seven years ago. He did a good job then so figured we would use him again. He put in brand new hardwood in the kitchen (as I said, two months ago). We noticed immediately that it scratched super easy. Very different from the rest of the house. They weren't deep scratches but white and literally everywhere. I can honestly say that the floor looks totally trashed two months later. I called him three times (voicemail) and he finally called back last week. He immediately admitted fault and said he might have had a faulty sealer because another customer has also complained. He said he would come by this week. It's now Saturday. We called him twice this week (left messages) and he hasn't called back.

What do we do now? It has to get fixed! Should we keep calling him (he has never actually picked up his phone) or will that freak him out. I just want him to do right by us but not sure he will.

What would you do if you were in our shoes?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

If he is state licensed, leave a message that you plan to take it up with the state's licensing board. No one wants a negative there as it's a good avenue for potential clients to check up on licensed trades for negatives against them.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

No answer is your answer.

You can see if there are any state sanctioned remedies as mentioned above, or you can file suit in small claims court if the sum is under your state's declared amount. You will need to fully document your claim with pictures, copies of invoices, reports of independent inspectors, etc.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

If you have a state law that has a consumer protection law regarding contractors you might be able to threaten a complaint or the law might even reimburse you for part of the loss. Google the name of your state and "home improvement contractor law".

• summer71
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all. He is licensed so if he doesn't call me back today (just left him another message and told him to call me today), I might have to start to treathen him. Ugh.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

The state construction licensing board is not likely to be interested in a private contract dispute or the performance of a contractor; they are only responsible for testing and issuing licenses and fining non-licensed contractors (sometimes).

You need to find out if there is a consumer protection law in your state that applies to home improvement contractors. Many states issue home improvement contractor licenses in addition to construction supervisor licenses and will not only collect the fees in a consumer reimbursement fund but will revoke or suspend a home improvement license which would be a real and serious threat to a wayward contractor.

Without knowing where you live I can't tell you more; you need to do some homework.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Must vary by stste. Out here one of the better avenues is through the states licensing board.

Here is a link that might be useful: cslb

• summer71
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We live in NJ. Thanks for your help!

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Try the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs. You might be able to file a complaint or use their Alternate Dispute Resolution process to avoid court.

Here is a link that might be useful: here it is

• bsspewer
    12 years ago

You'll catch more flies w/ honey..

You waited two months before calling him, then you demanded his attention immediately. I intentionally ignore phone calls from my g/f if she calls as often as you do.

Give him time to respond, let him focus on whatever job he's currently working. I wouldn't call any more than once a week. After a few weeks of no response, then begin to KINDLY let him know that without a response, you feel your only recourse is to file in court.

• greg_2010
    12 years ago

bsspewer, you ignore calls from your gf if she calls you twice in one week? You sound like a catch.

Returning phone calls takes very little time and is a basic necessity of maintaining a business.

The OP isn't saying that they are demanding a fix immediately. They just want to know what he plans on doing and when. He said he would come by and then didn't with no explanation. That is bad business.