Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace Gap

Posted by on_greenthumb (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 10:32

Here is my problem: Our fireplace is a 1" stone veneer and is at a 45 degree angle from either of the the adjoining walls. There is a gap around the fireplace up to an inch wide in some places that we've sealed with spray insulation. The stone itself is not mitered to a 45 degree, so the gap is quite noticeable.

Solution #1: Miter a piece of wood so it is parallel with the stone (miter sits against the wall) and we can then either have it flush with the stones and contour the edge against the stone so it's a tight fit or can have it overlay the stones. This solution could either have the wood painted the same colour as the wall or black to match the mantle.

Solution #2: Miter a piece of wood so it's perpendicular to the wall (miter sits against the stone and contour the edge so it's a tight fit.This solution could either have the wood painted the same colour as the wall or black to match the mantle.

Solution #3: Use concrete or grout to fill in the gap. This is risky because of the size of the gap and that it's completely vertical. I'd likely have to put in some kind of metal support structure.

I don't know which of the top would be the best solution or if there is something I haven't thought about. Input and ideas are welcome! (As you can see, we've recently painted from a dark orange (which I tried to hide the spray insulation by painting over it) to a light blue.....LOL VERY NOTICEABLE now

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace Gap

An additional photo - of the other wall

o

Your best option is option #3.
Cut out the excess foam and grout with a matching mortar.
You could use wood but you're going to have to be introduced to the wonderful world of scribing and the time and effort it involves.
I think grouting would also look the best. Adding a wood strip draws attention to the area.

o

I think I would put enough grout to get a straighter edge, then use something else to trim it. It's hard to see what other materials are in the room - you mentioned wood, and I see black metal (wrought iron sconce.) The trim can warp back around the front of the stone to create a straighter edge, and then fill that space with grout. You would have to do something fancy to meet the crown moulding, though. I can't see if there is crown moulding on the other side of the stone.

okay - think about this - Find a corbel with flat sides. Cut the crown moulding short enough to allow it in the corner to avoid the miter. Cut into it enough to allow a strip of small trim, like quarter round, to run up the wall and "go into" the corbel a half inch or so. then add grout to fill between the small trim and the stone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here