Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with kitchen island

Posted by JJAV1234 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 8:51

We just opened our kitchen to the dining room (you can see one dining room chair in this pic) and want to add a kitchen island with seating. We are not sure if we should do a 5' x 4' island with seating along the door/refrigerator side of the kitchen or if we should do a smaller island with seating backing up to the dining room table. Walking space is not an issue in either scenario, we are just trying to figure out which would look best in our kitchen. Is it okay to have your chairs back up to the fridge/main walking area; or best to have them backing up to the dining room table (people sitting at the island will have their backs to those at the table)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with kitchen island

The biggest issue is that an island will block your traffic paths for prep. We call that a "barrier island". It doesn't add to a kitchen, it makes activity worse. Draw a line from the sink to the fridge to the stove. Anything in the middle of that blocks your work. All of your work should be in a triangle one one side of the island.

Can the fridge be relocated on one of the legs of the L? Maybe where I see that tall cabinet on the left on the range leg? If not, then only a small movable type cart would be suitable, and even that will get in your way.

o

We actually relocated the refrigerator on that wall. We initially had a U-shaped kitchen and opened it to the dining room. In doing so, we had to find a place to put the refrigerator - on the other side of the cabinet to the left was not an option because that is an opening to the living room. I still want the island regardless if it blocks the triangle - I need the additional counter space and seating. Thanks for your suggestion though!

o

"best to have them backing up to the dining room table (people sitting at the island will have their backs to those at the table)?"

Yes, this.

o

If I were you, I'd make myself a temporary island of about the size you think you want. Make the "island" out of a table or some cardboard boxes or whatever. Set it where you think you want it. Place stools (or boxes) at the counter. Work around it for a few days. Pretend you're using it. You'll know pretty quickly what will work and what won't.

o

Why not build a mobile island? You can add locking casters and have stability and movement.

That way you can position the island for which position is optimum for the use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here