Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how drywall meets window jamb (basement)

Posted by homebound (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 13, 09 at 8:45

I'm finishing a basement and wondering how to finish the walls into the window openings toward the window jambs. It will about 10" or more to the jamb edges. Should I put nailers behind the jambs and butt the drywall to the jamb? (Hard for me to imagine that being a good solution.) Or perhaps finish the entire box with finish grade plywood? Any other ideas on this? This is going to be a fairly high-end bedroom suite.

Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how drywall meets window jamb (basement)

On our jobs we always make plywood jambs. 3/4" cabinet-grade stuff. Shim the boxes, then use minimally-expanding foam to secure. No drafts.
Casey

o

Ditto the plywwod. You would be surprised how dinked up drywall gets when opening/closing the window as well as setting items on the sill.

o

Makes sense. Thank you!

o

I use 1" pine #1 in the width that fits the space.

Basement Window

o

Ditto what worthy did. Here's one of mine, 1" pine on the jambs, quarter-round on the inner seam:
Photobucket

o

The point is use solid wood vs.drywall. Dont use mdf or any other particle board based product! Nice trim details, Worthy and Weedy!

o

Worthy and Weedy. Did you paint or stain the wood jambs? Did you apply sealant after? What about your trim, are they wood as well painted white? Thanks.

o

My jambs and casings are all primed and painted wood, no sealant.

o

Ditto.

o

If you're considering a basement renovation as a way to expand your living space, don't be surprised if your building-codes office has something to say about it- especially if a new bedroom is part of your plan. Without an egress window in case of fire, regulations simply won't allow a basement bedroom. And because this ruling is fairly recent in many parts of the country, most existing basements were not built with egress windows

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here