Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another Adding a second story onto a ranch house (w/pics)

Posted by sunrisen (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 19, 10 at 8:24

I need help with some visualization. I can go into the interior of a home that needs work & visualize, but I just cannot wrap my head around the exterior.

DH & I might be interested in putting an offer on this house (see pics below) but I am not sure if I can visualize putting a second story addition onto this home - will it look weird? I am fairly certain there is attic area in the middle part of the house. It doesn't have vaulted ceilings. There is no basement (it's in FL) & it's a concrete slab foundation. The home is 3,400 square feet & we'd probably want to add another 1,000 square feet.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Another issue - the home is wildly overpriced, especially for all the work it needs (new kitchen, all new flooring, new baths). The asking price is laughable. I'm sure any offer we would make would be offensive, but it needs a_lot_of_work.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another Adding a second story onto a ranch house (w/pics)

This house kind of reminds me of our house (pictures below). We added a second story to a house this year. It was a ton of work and not cheap... but we did get all the work done in 5 months (including new kitchen, bathrooms, second story, etc.). If you want any information, let me know.

Before:
Before Front

Before Backyard

After:
In Progess Front

After Back

o

Thank you, robinst.

I was more thinking something like this but I just cannot picture in my mind what it would actually look like or if something like this is even feasible:
w/o dormers
Photobucket

w/dormers (the white things that look like a Madonna bra)
Photobucket

o

A pyramid shaped roof with dormers would only work if the plan was almost square and is unlikely to provide much usable second floor space.

An architect could show you the best possibilities pretty quickly.

o

If you get a GC to help you with your design you have to be careful. Nowdays most GC's have a guy that works for them that calls himself an architect but most of them are just guys that know how to draw plans and are not architects at all. A lot of times they are not even licensed drafstmen. That's why you see all these goofy looking additions. It's against the law to call yourself an architect if you don't have a college degree and a license, but they do it anyway. Some guys are good, but alot, pretty bad. You can get magazines and order books on the web that give you plans. Figure out the style you want. A box on top of a roof is not a good design but that's what a lot of these guys do because they don't know any better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here