Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front Porch Design

Posted by confused_newbie (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 3:20

Hi all,

We are in the middle of a remodel and we have to figure out what to do with the front porch. The house is mostly contemporary inside, with new plank siding and a new cedar front porch and a cedar/concrete post. The flagstone up front is installed 5 years ago and we are keeping them.

Our architect's plan calls for a 8'x10' concrete porch, and now we need to sort out the aesthetics. Do we pour concrete and leave it as it? Or do we match it with flagstone? What about the post; do we decorate the concrete footing with flagstone or siding or leave it? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front Porch Design

confuse_newbie:

You stop those siders immediately. You don't place (never pour) concrete against siding. Figure out that detail and resume.

o

What Trebruchet said. Pour the porch slab correctly first, which means take siding off, flash wall, pour slab, install flagstone and then siding. Maybe a colored stucco for the concrete post, but make sure you slope the top.

o

Thanks - that's exactly why you see the sidings are finished on the sides but not so up front. :) They realized that they need to pour concrete so they stopped doing the sidings.

don92, what does it mean to "slope the top"? You mean sloping the top of the concrete post?

o

Yea thats all I meant. It would shed water and look better IMO. I also think stucco there would add another element, a rough texture to compliment the rough texture of the cedar.

o

Thanks! The 8'x10' will be a 4" platform, and my contractor suggested concrete. I am worried that it will look weird on the flagstone...

o

You can get custom colored cement with different colors and patterns. A brick, smaller stone or outdoor tile would look good as a porch and go well with the flagstones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here