Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azpen

walk in closet

azpen
12 years ago

Hi, I'm trying to decide on the design of my master closet expansion into a walk in closet. Currently I have a pretty long closet in the master bedroom, if I push it out 3 feet further though, I can have a walk in closet. However, this means taking a chunk out of this nice big square 13'x13' guest/future kids room. Do you think it's worth it? Here are some layout I'm considering:

1. As pictured in the link below. The area underneath the walk in closet was part of the old closet but will be made into a linen closet accessible from the hallway. In this configuration guest room still has some extra space near the door to put a table or dresser. The guest room looks roomier this way, but it's oddly shaped.

2. Push the door of the guest room further in, making it a rectangular room of ~10'x13'. The linen closet can be expanded to the right by 2.5' or shifted to the right so the lower left corner of the walk in closet can be expanded (maybe as a shoe closet?) This makes the guest room rectangular shaped but leaving little room for other furniture than the bed & nightstands - the door would get in the way of a lot of things... It's a big change too. Now that I write this out, it might not be the best idea haha.

3. which way should the closet door swing? i have more room outside the closet but I was hoping to be able to put a chaise 'above' the door in the picture, next to the patio window. I only have 2.5' so that's probably not enough room anyway is it? The space 'below' the door will host a dresser even possibly a TV in the future, but it might fit. What do you think of closet door that swings into the closet?

Anyway, I'm mostly wondering if you think it's a good idea to expand the closet into a walk-in even though it makes the guest a smaller & oddly shaped room. Oh btw this is not my only guest room. Thank you for your thoughts! =)

Here is a link that might be useful: closet design

Comments (5)