Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scullery_gw

Sunken addition

scullery
10 years ago

After several months' hiatus to reconsider the scope of our remodeling project, DH and I are reviewing our decision to drop the floor level between the original house and the addition. The house is a Colonial reproduction, which means the ceilings are low (7'11"). We moved here two years ago from a house with 8'6" ceilings, in a neighborhood where they are often 9'-10', so that height felt awfully claustrophobic to us. (What really sold us on the house was the lot, which is beautiful and in a great location.) Since the lot slopes gently away from the front, we figured we could drop the addition down 6"-12" from the main level to get some more headroom in the new kitchen, dining area and family room, The exterior walls are stone, 15" thick, so we could put the necessary step within the thickness of the wall. A year ago, we considered this added headroom to be an absolute necessity. Now we've gotten more used to the low ceilings, and I'm wondering whether the drop is such a good idea. I would still prefer more height, but I see a number of postings that call sunken family rooms dated and point out their disadvantages in universal design. This wouldn't be a 60s style conversation pit -- the whole addition's floor level would be lower, an approximately 20x40 space with three points of entry from the original house. I'd love opinions on whether the 7'11" height is low enough to outweigh dated/safety considerations, or whether 1-2 steps down into the addition is just a bad idea. Thanks!

This post was edited by scullery on Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 1:05

Comments (7)

• JFH191
    10 years ago

I have a sunken living room in my 1979 house. It's just like a 5-6 inch step but it always catches our guests off guard. Our family with small children is very used to it. No one has fallen or gotten hurt yet but a lot of our guests have tripped. I try to warn them but sometimes it happens. I think if those low ceilings will bother you, I would make it a sunken area. I think everyone prefers higher ceilings, under 8 feet can feel too low.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I'm confused why do you have to lower the floor on the addition to get a higher ceiling? Can't you just build the addition with a higher ceiling? All our ceilings are less than 8' and it feels normal to us.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

If you are going to do a change in floor level do at least Two steps, or about 14" inches.

Visually it is pretty easy to discern a level change of this much even fairly subconsciously. A single step's worth is not as easy to pick up on and can become a dangerous tripping hazard.

• scullery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the delay in posting back, we were three days without power after an ice storm this week. There are two bedrooms on the upper floor of the addition, so we don't want to step up from the main house to accommodate that head room. Thank you for the suggestion about making sure the drop is significant. I had not thought of that, but it's a good point. It might not be possible to go that low with a basement underneath, again because of connecting the existing basement to the new foundation, but it is definitely something to consider, or maybe a reason to scrap the idea. At least there isn't a chorus of horror at the concept feeling dated. Thanks again!

• Confire
    10 years ago

IMHO a sunken room screams 70âÂÂs and 80âÂÂs. We have a large sunken living room and have grown to hate. With the ceiling being 15â it doesnâÂÂt really look that bad but if I could turn back time I wouldnâÂÂt have done it.

Use the saving from the sunken room; buy a generator and lots of ice melt. (sorry been there too)

• enduring
    10 years ago

I will say I favor 7'11" ceilings to a step down. I think it is a real hazard form the sounds of the post above. I have a 7' ceiling in 2 of my rooms and I think they are somewhat charming now.

I have tried to dissuade a coworker from building a step down family room, with no luck. They are doing the step down :(

I think universal design is the way to go.

• A Gignac
    3 years ago

@scullery What did you decide to do with your lower/dropped level addition? We are thinking the same thing. Our kitchen ceiling is under 7 feet (6'10") and we are short so it hasn't been a problem but it's not great for tall people and it makes for limited cabinets/storage, etc. and for re-sale. My issue is that I know we'll be going from one level to two levels/trip hazard. Like you, our new kitchen would have a mudroom/entry and pantry etc. all on same level and you'd step up to dining and living room. Torn on what to do!

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner