Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie1971_gw

Trap Doors to Under the House

annie1971
16 years ago

Can I please vent to all of you builders and home designers. Why is the one and only access to under the house so often in the closet. I have talked to a number of my friends and from personal experience, I am dumfounded (that's the good word).

For 2-3 years now, we have been going through a number of remodels, upgrades, other problems and issues related to owning a 13 year old house. I had been ill for 1.5 years (nothing serious, just somewhat debilitating and extremely painful). I was diagnosed the week we started our kitchen renovation; after that furnace/air conditioning/cable/electric/plumbing and bath work, etc. began.

Why oh why does the access to under the house ALWAYS have to be in the middle of the master bath/bedroom closet floor. I can't tell you how many Tom, Dick and Harry's have been through my bedroom, my bathroom and into my closet, and after moving the chest of drawers and other clothes, have gone down into the underground of my home. While being unwell, this is an extreme invasion of person space.

Why don't you builders/architects take into consideration where the under house access will be in a home. I feel like my closet is on a "portal to the underground" for heavens sake. The main water shut off valve to the entire house is in that closet as well, behind the shoe racks!

Why isn't all that stuff in, maybe the laundry room? or garage or maybe second or third bathroom? Why does everyone have to traipse through our bedroom, bathroom and closet to get things done under the house?!

Please take common sense into consideration for future generations.

Comments (7)