Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qnob11

Removing ugly stone facade on exterior of house

S MacDougall
9 years ago

Does anyone have before and after pics of their home remodels wherein they removed ugly stone facade on an exterior wall? I would love to see them for inspiration!
If you removed the stone yourself what technique worked best for you? If you had it professionally done, how much did it cost? Thanks in advance!
*FYI: the stone in the pic is from another site, but is the exact stone that my house has.

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Why is removal necessary? Why not just cover it?

• S MacDougall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't want to paint it. How would I cover it up otherwise?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

How much of the house is covered with stone? How thick is it? If it is a veneer, it's relatively thin and covers the sheathing just like any other siding material, pretty much.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Are you sure that it's stone veneer? Do you know what is beneath the stone?

Would you consider taking a photo of your house and posting that? Trying to solve your issue without being able to see the house is rather difficult. Sometimes an issue can be addressed in ways that are unanticipated, and you won't really get great suggestions and analysis without photos.

For instance:
    Would painting/staining help?
    Is the facade such that you could stucco over it or put some type of siding over it?
    Would removing or covering part of it let the remaining (such as the bottom part) stone fade into the background?

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

It's obviously a personal choice, but stone is a quite expensive option compared with others. Not quite sure why you'd want to remove it - what are you going to put in it's place?

you should be able to assess veneer vs. true stone by wall thickness. If it's a veneer then you'll likely have just grout/adhesive to remove and if there is a lathe under you'll need to remove all that. sometimes people put it right on the house wrap, which isn't the best way, in that case you'll have to re-wrap the entire wall and hope that you don't find rotted sheathing underneath.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"How would I cover it up otherwise?"

Screw some underlayment over it and you could vinyl side over that.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

But wouldn't that make the exterior walls in those areas covered over significantly thicker, and require extending all the jambs around any doors or windows that have stone around them? I think it would be just as easy to take it off ?

What about stuccoing over it?

• Kelly Thomas
    7 years ago

Did you end up removing the stone? We have this same issue and im think thinking of removing it and would love to know how your project turned out.

• Christophe Chaland
    7 years ago

Looking at removing similar 'fake' stone on my house, and replace them with a more modern stucco. Any idea of who can do this type of work (only the removal) ?

thx

• Troy Farwell
    7 years ago

I had the exact same stone. Tear that nasty stuff out :).

The best way to get it out is to rent a good size roto-hammer. You can get in there and chip it away. Under it is wire mesh - a small grinder and crow bar will do it. Use masks, leather gloves, eye protection or you will like get zapped. The mesh is razor sharp at the edges.

• prmom0204
    7 years ago

We have the same exact stone in our home for the fireplace and outside the house in the entry. We want to remove it but not sure who we can call to remove it.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Removal is unnecessary. Side over it with proper details. Way less work.

• HU-118294
    7 years ago

You can whitewash it. YouTube 'whitewash stone fireplace' for instructions.

• Diana
    6 years ago

Same here! Anyone have a similar experience?

• C McQ
    5 years ago

Lava stone .. ugh! So ugly! I want to take it off but I'm afraid what I'm going to find behind it

• Caroline Peterson
    3 years ago

• twashington5709
    3 years ago

What did uyou use to change brick color. Love the new look. Have a similar project for home i just bought. Sorrys

• Caroline Peterson
    3 years ago

I used Romabio Limewash. I used Avorio white and painted my house to match. I used Benjamin Moore White Dove. I love it

• twashington5709
    3 years ago

Thank you

• FRED RANAHAN
    2 years ago

very simple using a Hilti in hammer mode wth 3 inch flat blade..almost falls off, it is a fascade..the pick out a nice stacked stone

• HU-833766195
    last year

Hi After removing some of the stone, (replace with Stucco) I wonder if I made my home more vulnerable to fire. And whether the kerb appeal will change for the better? Any thoughts welcome.

• Martin Lippens
    last year
    last modified: last year

Do you have a pic of it? I have a house covered with limestone and am thinking about chipping all or some of it off as well.