Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_from__ct

Making two rooms out of a living room with vaulted ceiling

novice_from__ct
11 years ago

Our living room has a vaulted ceiling. The room is approximately 650 square feet. How difficult is it to add a ceiling to create a bedroom above the living room. Does anyone know the approximate cost of this project?

Comments (19)

• bridget helm
    11 years ago

is there a place for stairs? I don't know the answer to your question. Sorry. But we looked into converting some of our attic space into 2 kids rooms, and after a contractor came out, we realized that there wasn't an ideal spot for stairs. just something to think about....

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Depends- are you going to DIY or hire a contractor?

• novice_from__ct
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are hiring a contractor. We don't need stairs since there are already stairs to bring you to the second floor. We met with someone yesterday who said that it was completely possible to add the ceiling, but he thinks we should add a bathroom to the space instead of carving out a hallway to the existing kids bathroom. I'd like to keep costs down and that bathroom alone will add at least $20k to the cost. I'd love to see before and after pictures of a converted vaulted living room. One of my main concerns is how my room will look after the remodel. I was hoping we'd get 9 foot ceilings after the conversion but the builder says with that expanse, they will most likely need to use 14" beams which would bring our ceiling height down to 8.6".

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

So the room is roughly 32.5' x' 20'? Even a 9' ceiling would be low for that space.

Are there dormers or other windows in the upper space? Will there be kneewalls or does the vaulting start at the floor? How high is the highest point?

• novice_from__ct
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually the space is 23' x 23'. I was off on my square footage estimate. There is a large dormer in the upper space with a large window which would need to be removed to accomodate windows that open. The living room in sunken in a foot so it goes up 9' until the dormer (knee wall?) begins. The highest point in the room is 20' from the floor. Surrounding walls in entry and kitchen are all 8'.

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    11 years ago

We did this! Last March, but it was with our kitchen, believe it or not. I live in NY and it was about $20K. I am soooooo happy with the results. I can link you some pictures from when I posted here about it:)
    We already had a bathroom, just changed the location of the door for that.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/remodel/msg0311351927940.html

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

If I understand it correctly. the floor of the new room will be right where the slope of the ceiling begins -- is that right? And the ceiling at its highest would be 10' in the center of the room. If so, and your new knee walls are 5' high (check out the code in your area to be sure), they would be approximately 6' in from each outside edge, which makes the width of your finished room about 12'. Is this wide enough for you? You will be able to get some limited-height storage behind the kneewalls.

• novice_from__ct
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Paintedpeggies, thank you for your post! Did you use an architect or just a contractor? Did you install any new windows? Did removing the vault make your kitchen darker? $20k seems like a reasonable price. Are you in Westchester or upstate? Chibimimi, the room above will not be a master so size is not a concern. My biggest concern is the ceiling height of our living room after the remodel.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

23x23' is a big room and 8'6' may be too low. The "golden rule" says you need a 14' ceiling.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Sorry, I meant "golden ratio"!

• novice_from__ct
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What is the golden ratio? Sounds important!

• bridget helm
    11 years ago

i agree that 8'6" will be way too low :( for a room that size

• novice_from__ct
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe it's best to consult an architect on this. I was planning to hire a contractor only but I'm concerned about the aesthetics after the remodel.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I agree about consulting an architect or a designer who can work up a scale drawing including perspectives.

That said, the ~ 8 foot ceiling was the standard for decades (and still is in much construction), and people have been perfectly content in reasonably sized rooms with 8 foot ceilings. I think the need for extra tall ceiling heights, particularly these near double height spaces, is grossly overstated in modern architecture.

I live in a building with 14' ceilings and 23 foot (approximate length) parlors. This is a Very high ceiling. The floor I lived on with the 10 foot ceilings was a much more human scale for an interior, and 8.5 - 9 would have been adequate too, without the ornamental ceilings.

• novice_from__ct
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your reply. We have 8' ceilings in the rest of the house and I have never considered our ceilings too low. I was looking forward to having a 9' ceiling since I am not a huge fan of the cathedral ceiling look. I will definitely call and architect.

• edlincoln
    8 years ago

How much did it end up costing?

• saran_fruits
    7 years ago

Hi novice,

Did u end up adding extra room over the family room..If so can you share your pictures.

• Luca Casciano
    2 years ago

Please share some pictures and costs.
    Thx