Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkmom123

Is this bathroom remodel expensive?

mkmom123
12 years ago

Hello! I have a master bathroom that I'd like to redo, and want some opinions on whether this is "doable" (..not too complicated or expensive).

Currently, the layout from left to right is: enclosed shower (with tiled walls and floor), next to DH's sink on the left of the tub. Large triangle shaped tub is in the corner, with my sink and vanity space on the right side. The toilet is in a separate room on the wall adjacent to my sink.

I'd like to:

Move the toilet room to where the enclosed shower is. Replace DH's sink with a built in shelves. Replace the triangle tub with a large walk-in shower in the corner of our bathroom. Replace my sink/vanity area with a double sink unit. Close up the wall to the existing toilet, so I can expand Dh's closet which is behind that wall.

Does this sound complicated? We've never done a remodel project before, and of course, we would hire somebody to do it, but don't want to start down that path if we're just being crazy..! Thank you!

Comments (9)

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

Define too expensive... And what is under the floor? (joists, slab, etc)? And, if joists, is there another floor under (second story)? And, if joists, which direction do they run (will the movement of the toilet drain be within the joint spaces, or have to go through them)?

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

No DIY ability? Moving every single fixture around? That takes an average 15K middle of the road bathroom remodel and adds a minimum 10K to it. If you're on slab, it might add 20K to it by the time you're done. You want upper end products? You've just spend 50K.

• Rhdrywall1970
    12 years ago

You can probably get this job done under $10,000 -- but you will have to wheel and deal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drywall Contractor

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Instead of getting "guesses" here, seek out reputable contractors in your area and get real world estimates. Most will get you close ballpark estimates at the initial meeting. It all depends on the finishes/materials that you want to get you to a closer figure at some point. Get referalls from friends, family, co-workers who have had similar projects done and are satisfied with their work. Make sure they are licensed if required in your area and insured. Check references.

• doug_gb
    12 years ago

To give you some perspecive: Last year I replaced our downstairs bathroom. 7 x 15, new Toto toilet, 60" vanity and sink, 7 x 3 shower with sliding glass door, Grohe faucets. The materials cost me about $9,000 (including tile / sheetrock / electrical).

When you include the tear-out, the labor, design - I could see how it could easily cost $20,000.

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

I see ripped up floors and walls to move plumbing all around. Definitely doable, but not cheap.

Every plumbing fixture has water pipes coming in and drain pipes with vents going out. Drain pipes run down below floor level, sometimes down the bay between joists and sometimes cutting through them, then down a wall to the crawl space or basement where they connect into the sewer line. Water supply lines typically run below the floor to the wall, then up the wall and out where they're needed.

So picture where the pipes likely are in your bathroom now and where they'd be if you moved everything around. Lots of cutting off PVC and copper, and running new.

• mkmom123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, thanks for the input. I wanted a read on if I was crazy to even think about it, this is helpful, thanks.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

You have to be a little crazy to build, remodel, or repair a home. About a 1/4 bubble out of plumb helps!

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

We did a partial redo in our master bath this past summer...shower, new double vanity, fixtures and ligthing....and it was expensive! We had some remedial work to do in the shower that we discovered once demolition was complete...water damage.
    It cost us close to 10K for the project because of the cost overrun.
    Be careful with your budget and allow for at least 20% cushion for any surprises! If you can, buy your materials on line to save! Good luck!