Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillkitchen_gw

Master Suite Addition

jillkitchen
12 years ago

My family and I live in a 1400 sq. ft. ranch style house. We are looking to add ~600-700 sq. ft. consisting of a master bedroom, master bath, master closet, and laundry room. I have attached a 2-D picture export from Google sketchup (North is to the left). I like the way most of it looks but there are a few things that don't seem right:

1. The master bathroom has too much empty space in the middle

2. The laundry room needs a redesign. Not sure what to do here.

3. I would like to open up the entrance from the deck (so that it is less of a closed hallway).

4. I am open to any and all suggestions now matter how drastic (including expanding to the north if necessary).

5. The room at the bottom right is an existing bathroom.

6. The label for the master bath is actually an existing bedroom and bathroom sorry for any confusion.

Thanks so much

Comments (19)

• Betsey Thompson
    12 years ago

Could you add wall measurements? How long is the hall off the deck?

• jillkitchen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry I overlooked that, oops!

The new wall on the right (north) is 24 feet and the wall on the deck side is 26 feet (this wall can grow or shrink by a foot or two). The hall off the deck is 5 feet.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks for your help!

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

I would rotate the orientation of the washer and dryer so there's more clearance in front of them to load and unload clothes.

How about losing the wall between the laundry room and deck entrance and making it mudroom-like?

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

If you don't like the openness of the Master bath, can you just move the vanity wall "up" to be even with the back of the w/c wall (if toilet room access is a problem, you could have an angled wall door to it)? And, you could then also move the laundry wall Up as well, allowing you to turn the laundry machines (and/or do the mudroom concept. Does that deck go anywhere, or is it a viewing only type deck?)

• jillkitchen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The deck has an entrance currently from the living area of the house. I would like another entrance from the new addition. The deck then has steps down on the north side to the back yard. I like the idea of moving the vanity wall up to shrink the master bath. Do you think I could move the laundry room up to the wall of the master bath and have the hall to the master bedroom be a quick left of the entrance from the deck? I am open to the idea of a mudroom concept, just don't know how to make it work and look nice.

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

Sure. That would also consolidate your plumbing walls. Additionally, that would get you some light into the hallway (but not the laundry room).

It would help to have your "existing house" more drawn out. For example, is the hallway that leads to the new addition right there? If so, then having the laundry room meet the backside of the Mbath might be trickier (it would mean extra corners to your master).

But, we can work with that idea (maybe change the bathroom configuration, etc). we just need to have a better idea of the whole space.

• jillkitchen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can "sketch out" the existing house when I get home tonight. The hall that leads to the new addition is currently a bathroom which is being moved to the room below the hall to the new addition.
    I am worried about to many corners to the master bedroom. Not sure if that is a good thing or not - makes the master separate from the other bedrooms, but kind of a maze to get there.
    The extra light in the hallway would be nice.

Thanks to all for the ideas.

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

If that's a second entrance to the deck, what about making it open directly from the master bedroom? Shift the laundry room over to the far right against the existing bathroom wall. Then you won't have a hall leading outside, just a door from the master.

I would avoid jogs in the hallway going to your bedroom. That can make it tough to move furniture in and out.

• jillkitchen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the current 1400 sq. ft. layout with the new addition outlined in red. Let me know if any additional information is needed.

Weedyacres if we shifted the door to the master bedroom then that would mess up traffic flow/furniture on the deck, due to the tree and picture window in the living room (not shown in updated sketch). The other side of the deck has a table and chairs.

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

I don't care for the way the bathroom opens to the head of the bed. Midnight visits might wake up your partner. Can you reconfigure the bathroom so the door will be opposite the laundry?

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

You are moving the "old structure" hall bath (to the skinny room) right? If you plan to move the hall bath anyway is there a reason you can't move it close to the bedroom and have the hallway split between the bathroom and LR? Then, you could have a straight hallway running from inside the house hallway to the deck door. (Laundry room moved).

I do also like the idea of moving your bathroom door. Having it lined up with the head of the bed is weird, I agree.

• jillkitchen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree about the bed ... I am thinking about putting it on the north wall or west wall or moving the bathroom door.

As far as moving the "old structure" hall bath next to the bedroom and having the hallway split between the bathroom and LR ... I hadn't thought of that ... the only thing holding me back is that the a/c unit is in a closet in the southeast corner of the new hall bath and I don't know how much it would be to move the a/c unit ... although I already have to move the outside unit. That would create a better traffic flow.

Thanks for the ideas.

• jillkitchen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a new layout based on your comments. Which layout would you think would work better? Do you see any potential problems? Where should I put the master bedroom bed with this layout? I am thinking the extra space next to the laundry room could be a closet in the hallway for games/linen ... and other ideas. Thanks again for all your input!

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

How wide is that hallway? (Just thinking about getting your bedroom furniture into the bedroom with 2 90* corners...)

Can you simply move the bathroom door toward the closet (and enter it more from the closet)? You don't show any doors anywhere, so I am not sure what your plan is. But, if you are aiming for a fairly open plan, moving the bathroom door more towards the bath (or reversing vanity and tub with door closer to outside wall) would be an option to consider.

• jillkitchen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The hallway's are 4 feet. I was hoping that we could bring in large furniture (i.e. mattresses) through the door on the deck by going inside the hallway and then turning one 90* corner.

The doorways are not yet set. I can shift them as needed. What do you think about moving the bed to a different wall? Do you have an opinion on creating an angled door to the closet?

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

I don't know how I'd do an angled door on the closet. And, in a bedroom, I prefer to have the bed in an orientation that you can see the door from (in your space, that would be where it is, or on the outside wall). Some people on this forum, do NOT like beds on outside walls (I think it depends on where you live). Anyway, the bed placement is good.

Here is another thought (sorry, I wish I knew photoshop or something, to draw it up for you...)

Right now, the closet space seems entirely behind (above) the bed wall. I have rearrangement for you to consider:

draw a wall/door to the closet, running up/down starting at the end of the bed/closet wall

If you are standing at the corner of that wall...put the vanities straight ahead (on outside wall--what climate are you?)

Move tub, shower and toilet around to make the *depth* of the bathroom shallower so the laundry room can slide "north"/up

Have only 1 door to the bath/closet space from the bedroom. Since the toilet will be closeted, you can feel free to enter the closet through the bath and not infringe on privacy in the MBathroom.

Does this make sense? Let me describe it one more way:
    Standing to the right of the bed, looking "up" (is that your east?) you will see the common bathroom/closet door. That door open, you see the vanities/sinks (and maybe some windows flanking each side of the sinks). Step in towards the vanities, to the left is the closet (door if you want). To the right are all the rest of the bathroom amenities, rearranged to take up a little less space.

• jillkitchen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry for the late reply. We would prefer to keep the shower and the tub on the outside east wall so we can have a big window over the tub and a transom window in the shower. However, we need to figure out a way to make the bathroom door work with the head of the bed. The closet in the bathroom may work. I am just not sure how with keeping the shower and tub on the exterior wall. Thanks for your help!

• coreyjc1
    12 years ago

A couple suggestions, some of which are similar to those suggested above.

1. You might want to pull the closet wall into the bedroom a bit more and then make one door that goes into an area with the closet on the left and bathroom on the right (no bathroom door - or a pocket door). This would also move the opening for the bathroom away from the vanity, which would help with traffic flow.

2. The door to the toilet closet will open outward. It can be put at an angle to open things up.

3. The laundry room: perhaps put your appliances on the wall that is shared with the bathroom? Better for plumbing.

• Susan
    12 years ago

i just added a washer and dryer to my master closet so i can put clothes away directly from the dryer. and i get changed in there now too, whcih saves a ton of steps. our closet is across the hall from the master bath, so it's an easy in and out of the shower to the dressing/closet/laundry space.
    we love how it all flows together now.
    hope that helps, suse.