Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rac15

Where to place powder room?

rac15
9 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of purchasing a home in Toronto. It will be a complete renovation, so we are currently working out how the floor plan will look. This is where we are running into difficulty.

We are trying to figure out the optimal place for a powder room on the main floor. We know that many homes in the area do not feature a powder room on the main floor, so having one could increase the home's value in future.

There are a number of factors to consider:

Space - The space is a little difficult to work with. This is one of the older homes that was built in the 1920's. They are long and narrow; approximately 42 feet long and 15 feet wide.
Privacy - With an open concept floor plan, it'll be hard to place the powder room which affords some privacy. Do you think placing the powder room in the middle would be too awkward? Would that take away value from the house? (See Plan A attached below.)
Lighting - There are only two windows in the house that allow sunlight - the windows at the front and back of the house. The house is semi-detached, so one wall is the adjoining wall with a neighbor. The opposite wall is only two feet away from the house of the other neighbor. Any windows on the exterior wall get very little light. Placing the powder room at either end of the house would probably take away a window with light. Would having a kitchen without a window be undesirable? (See Plan B.)

I have included a number of drawings below that include examples of where we thought the powder room could be. If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them as well.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• rosemint
    9 years ago

My powder room is right off the entry hall, near the front door.
    It's convenient for contractors or guests to use since
    they don't have to walk through the house to get to it.

• rac15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jacquelynn for your reply!

We thought about the front, as well. We were worried that it might detract from the largest window that allows light. It is definitely an option though! Is your place similarly structured? Was privacy an issue with the powder room at the front of the house?

• mag77
    9 years ago

>

I agree, and would absolutely swap the half bath and laundry.

• rac15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! We'll definitely look into switching the rooms around.

Unfortunately that back room is an addition that has been added onto the house that is not heated nor insulated. We would of loved for it to go there but it doesn't seem like the best idea now given the construction !

• my_four_sons
    9 years ago

Agreed on plan b and swapping laundry and bath. IMO powder rooms need as much privacy as possible.

Plan a seriously grosses me out, imagine having a guest at dinner and hearing them in the bathroom as you're fixing dinner. So uncomfortable for everyone.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

If it's possible to keep all the drains on the same side of the house, it will make the basement more useful because additional 3" pipes will not be traversing the ceiling. But, what everyone else said B and flip the WC to the back if it works. Brick walls do not take to "closet bends" very well. So if the B as-is fits the foundation wall situation better than chunking out a pile of brick, then that's what you're stuck with.

• worthy
    9 years ago

Resembles all the downtown houses I once owned in TO, mostly near Bathurst & Bloor.

Agree with others on swapping w.c. and laundry. But also note that the w.c. is vastly oversized. Also, double check instead whether a 2 pce. can be slipped in under the stairs to the second floor. Not ideal, but preserves precious floor space.

Even when this interferes with basement access, I've seen it done. A relatively large opening is cut to the basement at the front at a right angle, giving both access and integrating a basement rec area with the living room.

• justmegb
    7 years ago

Definitely NOT A!!!! And yes, switch out the powder room and the laundry and as well, you can insulate the interior walls for additional privacy.