Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I Remove Glue Behind Plastic Tile

Posted by Chell456 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 22:13

Hello;

I need to replace an existing kitchen backsplash consisting of plastic tiles. These tiles are kindof like upside down square cup saucers - the middle underneath is higher than edges. While the tiles seem to pop off fairly easily they leave a smooth bump of adhesive on the walls. I'd like to replace the existing tiles with real tiles.

The existing walls are lath and plaster and fairly smooth.

So my question is, do I have to remove the old adhesive? Or can I apply something to level out the surface, apply new mastic/thinset/adhesive, and then attach the new tile? (I would use a bullnose or something similar to finish the top edge.)

If I need to remove the adhesive what would you recommend to do the job? A heat gun and scraper? Remove the old plaster and redo that portion of the wall?

Thank you for the assistance....

Sincerely;
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I Remove Glue Behind Plastic Tile

Best to remove the high spots. Try to scrape/chip it off with a 5-in-1 painter's tool and a hammer. Then patch it or just retile over that.

This post was edited by homebound on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 8:53

o

Thanks much homebound for your response.

Sincerely;
Michelle

o

If you have trouble removing the high spots it will probably be easier to cut out that section and and put up fresh plaster or use drywall. I tore down drywall and replaced it when I was trying to replace wallpaper because it turned out to be cheaper and faster than trying to strip it off. Also that way you have a nice smooth surface to work with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here