Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmk9785e_gw

New Countertop doesn't allow installing drawerfronts

rmk9785e
9 years ago

During a condo kitchen remodeling, there was lack of coordination between cabinet installer and countertop fabricator. The quartz countertop was installed before the drawer fronts. They are pointing fingers at each other and at the cabinet manufacturer for not specifying a 3/4" plywood above cabinets.
As the attached pictures show, the drawerfront doesn't have enough clearance below the countertop bulnose to fit.
These are glossy white thermofoil covered drawer fronts.

I'm thinking my options (from least expensive to most) are:
1) Find a source for custom-made drawer front that is 1/8" shorter on top. I'm having difficulty finding a source in North America.
2) Install the drawer and cabinet fronts 1/8" lower. This means installing cabinets doors lower as well. Would appear abnormal and not uniform to other cabinets.
3) Cut bullnose 1/8" shorter in height. Would appear shorter than the other side.
4) Remove bullnose, use magnetic sensor to locate all screws, Cut screws with a rotary tool and then lift the countertop 1/8".
5) Remove quartz backsplash, remove quartz countertop, remove old plywood, install new plywood, fabricate and install new countertop.

Any better ideas?

Comments (28)

• klem1
    9 years ago

"1) Find a source for custom-made drawer front that is 1/8" shorter on top. I'm having difficulty finding a source in North America. "

Whoever made those drawer fronts can make others any size desired. Unless you are acting as GC and you didn't buy both from a salesperson, that's what needs to happen with no additional cost to you. If you speced everything,it;s on you. If they still insist drawer fronts come in only one size,can you shave 3/16ths off bottom of front, put matching white finish on bottom edge then move front down and resecure it to drawer?

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

Is it possible to remove the drawer front, cut off the amount needed and flip it upside down? Then remount it to the drawer.
    Not something you should have to do, however it might be the best solution.

• User
    9 years ago

It's the countertop fabricator's issue. Have him pull the tops and reinstall them correctly. Built up tops should always have a build up to bring them to the correct level. Just liike laminate. If the cabinets were frameless, there would be no other solution. Just because they are framed doesn't give him a different out from doing it the right waay.

• hippy
    9 years ago

".. cabinet manufacturer for not specifying a 3/4" plywood above cabinets..

What??
    Build the cabinets. Then need to apply 3/4" plywood to the top before the counter is installed to clear the drawer fronts.. Sounds to me as if the cabinet builder has no clue when it comes to building cabinets..

The cabinet should have been built so that the drawer fronts and doors would have enough space between them and the top of the cabinet to clear the counter before they left the shop and without having to add plywood after they were installed in a home.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. Note the space between the top of the drawer fronts and the counter.. That should have been what yours looked like when it was installed before the counter was ever installed. You photo shows very clearly that the cabinet builder screwed up. If it were mine. They would be the ones correcting their mistake.

• hippy
    9 years ago

And to add.

If you go removing the drawer fronts and lowering them. You run a good risk that they can interfere with the one below (causing you to lower them all) or that the spacing will be uneven and look like crap when it is done.

• rmk9785e
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I made a bad choice of GC and had to fire him for this and quite a few other blunders.
    Shaving the drawer fronts in not an option. There is a very thin layer of thermofoil over the MDF base. It will not be possible to refinish it as the edge is eased and the cut thermofoil may separate from the base.

I'd love to find a source where I can have a new one made. Already checked with the manufacturer where I bought my cabinets and learned it is made in China and they don't do custom.
    Pulling the quartz countertops installed with liquid nails will most probably break it up and damage the stainless steel sink mounted on it. The cabinets are frameless and are bulk made in China. Typically plywood is placed on top to support the natural or man-made stone countertops. This one required þâ plywood but wasnâÂÂt specified by the Chinese manufacturer or their re-sellers in California.
    My only good option is to find a source that can custom build the shorter fronts. I wonder if there is any manufacturing left in this part of the world.

• User
    9 years ago

Not a cabinet issue at all. It's a countertop issue. When a counter has a laminated edge, where the middle of the counter is thinner than the edge, the countertop fabricator needs to specify the addition of the ply buildup, or supply the buildup himself.

XXXXXXXX
    XX
    XX

Will never clear without a proper buildup.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

And in addition to what Green Design says there is plenty of manufacturing still done in this country, just usually at a higher price point (and much higher quality) then what comes from China!!

• rmk9785e
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Posted by GreenDesigns
    Not a cabinet issue at all. It's a countertop issue. When a counter has a laminated edge, where the middle of the counter is thinner than the edge, the countertop fabricator needs to specify the addition of the ply buildup, or supply the buildup himself.
    XXXXXXXX
    XX
    XX

Will never clear without a proper buildup."

Agreed that it is the fabricator's issue. Unfortunately, most of the tradesmen in this area do not speak or comprehend communications in English. On top of that, he says I know what I am doing. It is a challenge to ask them to check for these matters.
    I'm willing to pay what it will take to have two drawer fronts custom built. References to North American manufacturers of custom doors/fronts will be highly appreciated. Short of finding one, the only option we're left with is to have the fabricator shave/grind off 1/8" of the bullnose if that can be done without damaging the cabinet front surfaces.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Posted by GreenDesigns
    Not a cabinet issue at all. It's a countertop issue..

Sorry. But I see it differently. Even the company that builds cheap $170 cabinets for Lowes has enough sense to know that a cabinet needs enough room between the counter top and the drawers /doors for them to function.

It does not matter what kind of counter top you use from a piece of plywood to a million dollar slab of gold. The drawers/doors should open and close WITHOUT having to shim the cabinet with 3/4" plywood.

Seeing the second photo. I would have sent those back before the delivery guys ever pulled them off of the truck. A Junior high school wood shop student could have built better cabinets than those things..

Sorry.. I tell it the way I see it, like it or not. And I am seeing cabinets I would not even consider putting in a dog house.

Dont know what they buyer paid for them.. But a $163 base cabinet at Lowes.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Regardless of whether the cabinets should have been built differently, the counter people are idiots and still at fault for installing without addressing the problem.

"there was lack of coordination between cabinet installer and countertop fabricator"

Is there a GC or KD involved? You can also hand it over to them for not coordinating things and not paying attention to the job, something for which you are paying a premium for.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 19:54

• rmk9785e
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Posted by GreenDesigns
    XXXXXXXX
    XX
    XX

Will never clear without a proper buildup."

Agreed that it is the fabricator's issue. Unfortunately, most of the tradesmen in this area do not speak or comprehend communications in English. On top of that, he says I know what I am doing. It is a challenge to ask them to check for these matters.
    I'm willing to pay what it will take to have two drawer fronts custom built. References to North American manufacturers of custom doors/fronts will be highly appreciated. Short of finding one, the only option we're left with is to have the fabricator shave/grind off 1/8" of the bullnose if that can be done without damaging the cabinet front surfaces.

• mag77
    9 years ago

This is the counter installer's fault. He should have built up the cabinets so that the bottom of the doubled front edge of the counter was at least as high as the top of the cabinets. It's his mistake and his responsibility to correct it.

• rmk9785e
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Both of you are correct. It is bad cabinet design combined with unskilled tradesmen. Ultimately, it is my fault for getting involved with this contractor, his supplier and his crew without due diligence.

FWIW, I was able to find a company that can provide custom made thermofoil drawer and door fronts. Had a great experience speaking with a wonderful person at the other end who walked me through the web site and will be sending me info for a local business that has an account with them for ordering.
    I thought I'd share it here for anyone who may have a similar need.

Here is a link that might be useful: source for custom made thermofoil drawer and door fronts

• mag77
    9 years ago

Hippy: " The drawers/doors should open and close WITHOUT having to shim the cabinet with 3/4" plywood"

Look real close at the first photo. See the glue line in the front edge of the counter? The counter is 3/4" material, doubled at the front edge with a narrow strip to look more substantial. That's the problem. That strip hangs down 3/4" below the top of the cabinets.

• woodbutcher_ca
    9 years ago

Hi, You won't find a manufacturer to do this, thier systems are set up with computers, you need someone who can operate a tape measure and think on site. I would suggest either a finish carpenter or a cabinet shop would be your best bet.
    Good Luck Woodbutcher

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

A countertop fabricator notes the type of cabinets he is placing tops on. With doors and drawers flush with the cabinet tops, he knows his substrate must be as thick as his front edge build-up.

This fabricator failed to do this. This is his mistake and his alone. There was nothing to coordinate except his own dimensions.

When you have him pull the tops and shim the substrate, he will never make this mistake again, I promise. Do him this favor.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 21:29

• hippy
    9 years ago

Yes I see the strip. I understand the strip. 3/4" thick counter with a 1 1/2" wide strip glued to the front/leading edge. That leaves 3/4" of the strip below the top of the cabinet.

With a mess like that. Flush mount drawer fronts and doors would have been a better choice.

{{gwi:2136715}}

I also find it funny that the cabinets were made in China. But you demand an American to cut new drawer fronts to fix the problem.

Look again at the Lowes example. The drawer front is attached. You have 1 1/2 to 2" strip ABOVE the top of the drawer front. Add a 3/4" counter, Then a 1 1/2" trim along the front edge.

You still end up with a 3/4" to 1 1/4" space from the top of the drawer fronts to the bottom edge of the trim piece.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

Did everyone miss the part about the top going on with the drawers missing in action? If they had been there (WTH not?) there would have been no problem with the idiot counter installer. The base is the army. The top is the navy. The room is SNAFU, with the emphasis on "S".

Hey, since the GC is an S, the triple threat changes it to FUBAR.

• rmk9785e
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Both of you are correct. It is bad cabinet design combined with unskilled tradesmen. Ultimately, it is my fault for getting involved with this contractor, his supplier and his crew without due diligence.

FWIW, I was able to find a company that can provide custom made thermofoil drawer and door fronts. Had a great experience speaking with a wonderful person at the other end who walked me through the web site and will be sending me info for a local business that has an account with them for ordering.
    I thought I'd share it here for anyone who may have a similar need.

Here is a link that might be useful: source for custom made thermofoil drawer and door fronts

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

rmk9785e:

You are doing this "contractor" no favor by bailing him out of trouble by purchasing new drawer fronts. He'll never learn a thing. I hope no one else follows your example.

• User
    9 years ago

Frameless design or full overlay cabbinets have been around for decades. There is nothing ''wrong'' with the design of the cabinets. It's a poor counter fabricator who relies on having old fashioned partial overlay cabinets to bail him out of a substandard counter install.

And if he actually installed counters on those cabinets with Liquid Nails as the OP says, then he isn't a pro, and deserves to learn the hack's lesson to get educated, or get out of the business. He should replace the cabinets and counters. If he won't do that, then he needs to not get paid anything, plus have complaints lodged publicly and professionally. If he's even licensed, which I would suspect not.

The next victim down the line would appreciate you giving this guy the grief he deserves. He owes you. If you won't make the effort to hold him accountable, then you are doing his future customers a disservice by teaching him it's OK to do a crappy job as long as you can get away with it.

• rmk9785e
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both for the valuable advice. I do not intend to do either the 'contractor' or the fabricator any favors. I intend to file a claim against their bond surety and file a complaint with the California State Licensing Board. I've concluded that they are simply not capable of resolving this matter and am trying to find a reasonably speedy return to habitability of the condo and restoring normalcy in my life. That's why I'm considering the possibility of finding a little smaller drawer front.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Hippy - These are full overlay cabinets. None of the photos you posted show that style of cabinet. It appears the countertop fabricator did not know how to treat full overlay cabinets.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

RMK- I am happy to read that you found someone you might be able to work with locally in order to fix this mess...while you report this to the California State Licensing Board. (They were very helpful with a bad flooring contractor we had once. They have a lot of clout.)

Have you thought of possibly just having those two fronts replaced with real wood painted or stained to pick up other colors in the room. If those are the only two drawers it will look intentional. I have a bathroom vanity with black drawers and white doors. Red knobs pulled it all together. Just a thought.

-Babka

• Vertise
    9 years ago

"You are doing this "contractor" no favor by bailing him out of trouble by purchasing new drawer fronts. He'll never learn a thing. I hope no one else follows your example."

Ha! You owe this hack nothing. You would surely be in for more of the same or worse by allowing him back on your property to "fix" things. Wise call. You sound like a man in charge who knows what he's doing! The authorities should probably be called in more often, to save the public from any further nonsense from these types. You get a THANK YOU from me!

• rmk9785e
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both for the valuable advice. I do not intend to do either the 'contractor' or the fabricator any favors. I intend to file a claim against their bond surety and file a complaint with the California State Licensing Board. I've concluded that they are simply not capable of resolving this matter and am trying to find a reasonably speedy return to habitability of the condo and restoring normalcy in my life. That's why I'm considering the possibility of finding a little smaller drawer front.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

The first thing out of the mouths of the bond surety and the California State Licensing Board is going to be "Did you give the contractor a chance to make it right?"

If you answer "No.", they're going to suggest you do so. Highly.