Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmy23

Help - Beam size for removing exterior wall

tmy23
15 years ago

Greetings. I am planning an addition to our kitchen and will remove about 9' (total wall is 15') of the back wall of the house to "open" the space into the new addition. I am not considering this wall fully load bearing, but wanted to get the opinion of some more experienced than this humble DIY'er. The house is 125 year old balloon frame, 4"x6" (actual dimension) studs on 16" centers. The wall being removed runs parallel to the floor joists on all floors. Above the portion to be removed is the second floor exterior wall and above that the attic exterior wall under the gable end of this wing of the house. As all the floor joists are parallel, it seems that the section I want to remove is holding up just the exterior wall, not any of the floors or roof. To confirm, in the kitchen where I've removed the lathe and plaster, I've seen that last ceiling joist along the end wall studs (studs to be removed) isn't tied (nailed, bolted, etc into the studs, it simply runs past. As such it looks like the floors are supported solely by the perpendicular exterior walls.

The ceilings are 10.5' tall so I have height to spare, I was planning on double 2"x12" glued and bolted for a 9' span. Given that the studs are 4"x6" I could fit in a triple 2"x12", but it sure is a lot more to lift into place.

Second question...I am assuming that I can place the studs I install to support the beam on the bottom plate (which is on the top of the foundation wall.

thanks for all your help...

Tom

Comments (4)