Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenj36

help i hate my bathroom tile

jenj36
10 years ago

We are still finishing our bathroom but i hate it. My husband say it is too late and i can't rip down the mosaic tile.. i wanted it to look more gray. Can anyone make any suggestions on whole to pull this off?

Comments (6)

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Try painting the wall a warmer grey (pulled from the tile). Hard to tell from the pic, but it seems like the pinkish-taupe-grey walls are clashing with your greeny-brown-grey tiles. The less pink your wall, the more grey your tiles will seem. Maybe something like Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter or BM Sag Harbour Grey (but check the swatch against your tiles).

Other than that I think you're going to like it a lot better when you get over the shock of seeing it all bare like that and when you install the rest of the tub surround and the shower curtain. It is 'strongest looking' right now and will fade more when all the rest of the stuff is back in your bathroom.

It's a cute tile, very urban! Reminds me of a cityscape somehow.

• User
    10 years ago

Not the paint. It's more the clash between the cool tones of the grey veined wall tile and the warmer tones in the browns and taupes of the mosaic. I'm with you. One or the other has to go.

Did you do an aftermarket tile flange on the tub or is that one of the (few) whirlpools with an integral tile flange? What waterproofing method did you use behind the tile?

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I think it's both the paint and the tile. As holly said, the cool color of the 12" tile is clashing with both the wall and the mosaic. Since tile won't be removed I'd paint the wall with a gray paint that blends better with the larger tile, then bring in more gray with accessories and artwork. Are you going to have a chrome/pewter shower door?

Also, try a different light bulb, such as a Reveal, so that you see truer colors. Maybe it's the camera but why does the sink have a pinkish cast?

• homebound
    10 years ago

I hesitate to say this, but you could tile over that wall with something else. A bonding agent would be applied first. Tile supply places have it, not a big box store.

• littlelizzy123
    10 years ago

I think the tile is beautiful. I would keep that and change your wall color. Try pulling colors from the mosaic and I think you'll find one that is really beautiful together.

• cindywhitall
    10 years ago

What tile is that? It looks like the Arctic Storm from HD that I just this weekend put on my kitchen backsplash. Had a heck of a time choosing a grout color and probably went too light. Mines only half grouted and the other side looks darker. I hope it's an optical illusion (because the grout lines are lighter than the spaces that aren't grouted on the other wall) and not because hubby probably didn't mix the boxes (why listen to ME?)

We are having paint color issue too. The room adjoining is toasted wheat by Behr (hubby likes HD paint), the current paint is a dark-medium blue. We'd like to lean towards green but sort of a greyish brownish green that's not too dark...Cabinets are white. Granite is Sapphire/brown-blue. Floor is slate look porcelain, so gray with some tan and a little bit of rust color.

Your pic is sideways which is throwing me off. There is a pink cast on the sink...is that the lighting? Lighting can change the colors as well. I think it looks fine, but if there is grey in the whiter tile then you should change the paint to something in the grey family. Let us know what you choose and post a pic. If your tile is like mine then I'm looking for ideas.

Also, did you seal it? I tried to find a color enhancing sealer but had no idea what to use on it, so I just used some plain old sealer. I'd love it if I could still use an enhance on it. It seems to still look darker when wet, so maybe with only one coat on it's not too late. Do you know?