Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edie3

Has anyone replaced wooden spindles

edie3
11 years ago

on their staircase with wrought iron spindles? Can you do it yourself? Do you think this look will be dated soon? Thanks.

Comments (6)

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

Yes. If you google "install iron balusters" you'll find some DIY instructions. You basically saw the wood ones in half, remove them, and epoxy in the replacement iron ones.

It's a tougher job if you replace the bannisters and treads as well, which is what we did, because you've you have to drill the holes just right.

I guarantee you iron balusters will be outdated at some time in the future. Just can't say when. :-)

Here's our before & after:

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

@weedy--
    I so love your transition--but mostly in that you got rid of the wrap around carpeted stairs... Do you have a step-by-step somewhere on how you did that?

• edie3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, I love that! So much better, and your before is very similar to what I have now. Can I ask you how you decided on 2 spindles instead of one on each step? Would one per step look okay?

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

The number of spindles is mostly dictated by code. The space between spindles must be a certain maximum distance. It is very unlikely that 1 per stair would meet code.

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

Ballusters must be spaced so that a ball 4" in diameter can't pass through. That's so babies can't fall through ballusters. Most stairs have 2-3 per tread. Our treads are on the short side, so we could do 2.

Boy, that's a fuzzy photo. Sorry about that. Here's a more focused one.

I (uncharacteristically) did not take many "during" photos. But my step-by-step is basically:
    1. Rip out carpet, railing, newel post, and ballusters. Sell the latter for $20.

2. There were cheap pine tread and risers, and they extended beyond the edge of the stairs, so I ripped them out and replaced with stained oak treads and painted poplar risers.
    3. I put stained cove molding below the treads to make them look beefier and prettier.
    4. I cut a stringer board to go on the outside edge to cover up the drywall edge.
    5. I hand cut the curved white cut-outs from 1/8" poplar to cover the edge of the risers. Miter cutting the corners of the skirt board to meet the risers just wasn't in my skill (and tool) set.
    6. We attached the railing and ballusters (googling "install iron ballusters" gives a good run-down of the process).

Here's a couple close-ups of the trim-out.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Thanks!