Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skyangel23_gw

Adding additional windows in cinderblock walls?

Skyangel23
10 years ago

We are in Florida, land of concrete block homes, and our master bathroom which is 12 x 17 has only a tiny 3 x 2 window over the shower. There is a long wall between the shower and the vanity that would be perfect for a 4 x 6 window. I have no idea what costs we would be looking at to hire someone to cut through the block exterior and install a new window.

Has anyone done this before? What did it cost you? I don't want to waste a contractor's time to come out and bid it if it's going to be a huge amount of money. We might save up and wait a year or two instead, or just accept the lack of natural light in that room. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Concrete masonry units are not difficult to cut and steel angles can be placed on the inside and outside for the header if there is room under the finishes. You won't know if it is feasible until you talk to a contractor.

You didn't say what those finishes are so I can't tell you more.

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Renovator,
    Just stucco over concrete block on exterior and drywall on interior. Is that what you mean by finishes?

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is one story. I don't have the plans, unfortunately. Would keeping the window placement higher, say 3' or 4' feet off the finished floor, help with the rebar issue? Window 4 feet wide, 5 ft high, actually, not 6. Sorry. Size can be adjusted if necessary.

• KelinMD
    10 years ago

If it is cost prohibitive you could consider adding skylights since it is a one story. Nice in a bathroom b/c you get the lights and none of the privacy issues.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Thanks;
    The local building dept. may have them on file.

At their determination, you may need the services of a civil or structural eng.

CMU structures will have both vertical and horizontal rebar.

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Snooby,
    Assuming I am able to get ahold of the plans at the county, and assuming rebar is not in the way, what kind of price range would we be looking at?

Kelin,
    We are on two acres so don't have to worry about privacy so much, however a skylight is still very intriguing, especially if this venture is cost prohibitive. Do you know about how much a skylight including installation might go for?

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

In my very limited homeowner experience of installing an egress window through a concrete block basement wall, I am guessing between $2-4k depending on location costs and other factors. You need permits, the concrete cut, a header placed, window trim, and drywall repair if needed. Variables include where the joists run and if there is anything in the wall that needs to be moved.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

I doubt that you would be so lucky as to avoiding the rebar.

Without the benefit of those determinations, $3-5k would not be an unreasonable expectation.

Engineering is an "exact" science, based upon "assumptions," which the local building dept. may deem you a beneficiary of, or not.

It's how it works.

Your roof and ceiling structure will determine the cost of a skylite installation.

Potentially a substantial reduction in cost.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Skyangel23:

It depends on what you mean by "a huge amount of money". If you don't have a 2-4K budget, you'd better wait.

I recently installed an impact 6' sliding door in Florida. Inspection made me cut the block, install #5 rebar in the lintel and foundation with structural epoxy, overlap the bar 24" and wire it, then fill the cavities with 6 bags of concrete. It added two days to the job.

How old is your home?

• HU-318660000
    4 years ago

25 years old

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

You'll have to bring it to modern code.

• htmeyer
    3 years ago

Hello, your budget guidance was $2 - $4K seven years ago...what would this same job cost today? thank you.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

double it minimum.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths