Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintedpeggies

Where to put the DOOR?

this is a plan of our addition...it is a Master bedroom with an existing bathroom. They will punch through the existing bathroom wall to relocate the entry door.

The place they were thinking of putting it is really close to the existing vanity. It is a lot closet than it looks in the sketch. The door will open into the bedroom, not the bathroom, but when you walk in you are directly in front of the vanity side. It seems awkward.

I want to put the door in the middle of that wall. It would involve moving the baseboard heater, though, and removing a section of it.

Thoughts?

Comments (8)

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

So, how much space is really there before you walk into the vanity? Usually, when these things are drawn up, they are pretty close to scale. As drawn it is fine, even with the door opening in. If it is going to swing out, then I would think it even more fine (although, the outswing will take away from your floor space in the room).

Centering is, as you mention, would also be a good option, but then I don't think I'd make it an out swing door.

This is likely to be a matter of preference and cost.

• newtoremodel
    12 years ago

You would need to take into consideration where you plan to have the bed as well as the entertainment center. I wouldn't want to look directly into the bath if possible.

If you move the door closer to the shower, would you have somewhere convenient for the towel racks? And if the door opens into the bath, where would you put the light switch? Behind the door?

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm...well right NOW the lightswitch is on the other side, next to the vanity (where the new linen closet will be is the entry door to the bathroom now). I didn't even think about the light switch!
    I guess if the door is closer to the shower I can put towel bar on the back of the door? We would have to keep the door swinging into the bedroom. Bed placement isn't really an issue because my master bath door is always closed, even now.
    Wow, it is amazing how at every turn there is something to consider with this reno that I hadn't considered before!

• handymac
    12 years ago

How about one like below?

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    12 years ago

How about a pocket door like this?

• noodlesportland
    12 years ago

does the closet exist? What about entering the bath through the closet (the side of the vanity. No other door would show from the bed.

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the closet shown doesn't exist yet. We are borrowing from the adjoining bedroom to build it. The current entrance to the bathroom will become the new linen closet (toward the bottom of the pic under the closet. I considered having the entrance in the closet, but would rather have that space as a linen closet and don't really want to have to walk through the entire closet to enter the bathroom.
    I'm hoping that keeping it where it is in the sketch will just have to do.

DH and I hate the vanity anyway, so the entire bathroom might be reconfigured anyway. We don't need to put such a large and boxy vanity in when we re-do.
    thanks to all for your input!

• renovator8
    12 years ago

I think you should center the door and whatever you do swing the door into the bathroom. If the door opens into the bedroom, someone could walk into the edge of it at night - a very unpleasant experience.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler