Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiemcc_gw

Where to start?

katiemcc
12 years ago

This forum has been such a huge help on many of the smaller projects we've tackled since purchasing our 1973 two story house just under a year ago. No we are ready to tackle some larger projects and I am hoping you experts can provide me with some direction. I truly appreciate any help/direction you can provide!

Background info:

Kitchen

Currently: semi-updated kitchen (probably late 1990s/early 2000s). The previous owner put in new cabinets (not my style of finish, but decent cabinets overall), awful laminate countertops that have scratched and show dust like nobody's business.

What we'd like to do: 1) The range is a slide in Jenn-Aire in the island and we would like to remove it and put in a nicer range and hood on an interior wall.

2) Replace the laminate countertop island with butcher block and granite on the surrounding counter surfaces.

3) Paint the cabinets a gray color

Rest of the house

What we'd like to do:

1) Replace all stained wood trim with white trim

2) Have hardwood floors (the entire house is hardwood, no carpet) refinished a darker/warmer cooler. They are currently a yellow/orange stained oak and the entire house looks yellow at this point.

3) Install carpet in the living room as we want one room with carpet in it.

Where do we begin? We plan on having the floors done by a professional as well as the countertop installation. We would like to change out the stove, etc. by ourselves and will most likely have our painter paint the kitchen cabinets as he can do it much quicker than we can.

In a perfect world I'd prefer to do the floors first, but I realize that all of the kitchen work will wreck havoc on refinished floors. The other issue is we will need to do these jobs in two waves for budget purposes. The kitchen will be one job and the floors another.

Are we out of our minds trying to coordinate this on our own? Do we need a professional to take over? Can someone please help me get a grasp on how to best approach this? I appreciate your help! Thank you in advance!

Comments (3)