Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
capecoddreaming_gw

Storage concerns

capecoddreaming
10 years ago

Hi everybody!

I had water damage in my house and have to move everything out. I rented a POD and a U-Box (U-Haul) to put everything in. I'm in MA so it's very cold here. Neither of these storage units are insolated, etc.

My question is: how damaging will the weather be to my clothes and framed prints to be in the cold for about 3 weeks?

All I can think is that things will freeze and when I bring them back inside I'll be dealing with moisture as they come back to room temp.

Thanks so much.

Comments (4)

• User
    10 years ago

Actually, the freezing cold is better for many household items than temps from freezing to 40. There is little moisture accumulation in freezing temps. I have no idea about the art.

When you bring the stuff back into the house, throw washables in the dryer. That gets rid of any moisture. Hang non washables with space around each one to warm and check before putting away.

• capecoddreaming
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. Good to know about the clothes.

Anyone else know what being in the cold will do to the framed items?

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I don't think moisture will accumulate on things in storage, but moisture will condense on cold surfaces when they come indoors - particularly metal and glass. Soft surfaces shouldn't be a problem. I have lots of books stored in my garage, without a problem.

• capecoddreaming
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it's the warming up process and the condensation that might occur inside the framed prints. I'm just going to have to find an inside area to keep them. The insurance says they will replace them but that does me no good. Some are not replacable and others I don't have time to recreate them ie shop around, decide on framing choices etc.

Good to know about the books though. Lots of those stored too.

Thanks for your reply.