Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing brick and install what?

Posted by mlo1 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 16, 07 at 18:28

Just for the sake of discussion...if one was to remove the brick facade from a home with a brick ledge integrated to the foundation wall (4-4.5" protrusion after sheathing studs), what other siding styles would blend in correctly over the foundation?

I'm not aware of any other than brick that would not stand out as architectually corupt.

This is a single story ranch with a full hip roof in the wet northwest. I am ready to undertake a full re-bricking, just wondered if there may be another option. Having been acused of being a little ecentric a time or two, I would not want to let anyone down :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing brick and install what?

It is possible to install vinyl over the brick. That would save the labor of removing the brick. But it is very unlikely to enhance the saleability of the house or enhance the price.

o

The only other facing I think of that would have enough depth to cover the brick ledge would be stone. Why do you want to remove the brick? It would be possible to do stucco, and build out the bottom enough, by creating decorative bands or a water table, but I think it would require a good bit of trial and error with some mock ups to create something that would look good.

o

The home is going through a major remodel that includes new foundation and exterior walls in about 40% of it. I have tried for two years to find enough of the original romans brick to make it complete, but no success. I'm losing about 10% trying to save and clean what I have for re-use.

It's not about saving money or doing for re-sale. I'm here for the long haul (retired) and appreciate nice materials and good craftsmanship. I was originally going to just use brick up to the windowsills and a siding the rest of the way up the wall. But I have always enjoyed the feeling and aesthetics of full brick even though it is a facade...call me crazy. Ceratinly makes exterior maintenance a breeze aside from the landscape!

o

Where are you, what kind of site, neighborhood, climate? Difficult to offer design advice without that information.

I have never liked brick ranch houses but I agree that a half brick wall is not as attractive as a full height one. If appropriate for the region I would strap the wall, add shingles and flare the bottom edge over the brick shelf. Double dipped stained white cedar shingles might have to be washed in 10 years and restained in 20 years unless you live in a very humid climate or deep in the woods. On the water I've seen them go without maintenence for over 40 years.

o

My home in Texas is a full brick large ranch built in 1959. The type of antique style brick is long gone. Your options include stone or a similar brick. I presume you are dealing with the front of the home that faces the street? If all of that brick is the same, that fact that it does not exactly match the rest of the brick on the other sides of the home may only be known to you. Another option is to paint your brick so matching brick is no longer a problem.

o

The home is located in a well preserved 50's suburban development in the Northwest Puget Sound region. Climate is near that of Seattle. The homes .25 acre lot sits on a hill with full south and west exposure which is where our typicall weather patterns come off the sound.

Mightyanvil, your idea intriques me. I had a thread over on the building-a-home forum a day or so ago (wrong forum) titled "Full hip or gable roof" that was prompted by my desire to change up the homes image. I went into a little detail about the structures feel. Here is the link.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg0110571710408.html?8

o

Upon further thought, there is another aspect of the exterior wall framing that needs to be addressed. To bring the wall insulation up to code (R21) I have to have a 5.5" deep wall cavity. Currently the walls are 2x4 studs, this means I need to fur the framing out 2 inches. If I did that on the exterior, maybe by adding 2x material to rim joist and studs, it would be a better retrofit (if choosing shake siding). The brick ledge would then be reduced to near 2-2.5". The only thing I can see it affecting is the eve overhang, it would be 22" instead of 24" (before facia/gutter). A plus would be not losing any interior space in the already small rooms, by performing the furing on the inside. It would also leave the normal subfloor/framing/sheetrock interfaces/nailers alone...which I like. If I'm missing anything feel free to correct me, please.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here