Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rtl850nomore

Schluter Ditra

rtl850nomore
14 years ago

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with Ditra as a tile underlayment as opposed to Hardie?

Comments (19)

• worthy
    14 years ago

I've used Ditra under ceramic and marble tiles above and below grade with no problems. It's light and easy to work with. I definitely prefer it to doubling the ply subfloor.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Ditra is a moisture barrier and isolation membrane.

If the floor is not stiff enough tiles and grout joints will still crack.

• homebound
    14 years ago

So to clarify, over a single layer of subfloor ply on 16"OC joists, Hardi or another cement-board, glued and screwed (glued with thinset) will be rigid enough? But if using Ditra, first another layer of ply would be required/advised? Seems to make sense - do I have it right?

By the way, what kind of thinset do you use to glue down onto ply (modified or un?)

• homebound
    14 years ago

Very helpful, thank you.

All that reminds me of my renewed appreciation for sheet vinyl, which I happened to put on our basement bathroom floor so it would feel warm to bare feet (wood ply underneath). I got a "tile" pattern and everyone that sees it says "wow, I like the tile!"

• worthy
    14 years ago

mongoct makes a good point about the different requirements for stone vs. ceramics.

But if you've doubled the subfloor for stone already, why bother with Ditra except for waterproofing?

I've used Ditra on top of the basement slab, which is prone to flexing and cracking.

The hardest time I've had is insisting that the tilesetters follow the instructions; they always want to use modified thinset where it's not supposed to be used.

See Installation Handbook below for details.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ditra Installation Handbook

• hobz
    14 years ago

Does anyone know where you can buy Ditra online? I tried purchasing it from Shag Tools but they can't ship to California.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"mongoct makes a good point about the different requirements for stone vs. ceramics."

Larger tiles have many of the same requirements as natural stone.

It is the flex over the size of the tile or stone that causes the issue.

Mosaic tiles under and inch can survive more substrate movement then 6 inch tiles.

12 inch tiles will require nearly the same treatment as 12 inch cut stone.

When you get up to even larger tiles (and stones) the surface needs to be even stiffer to prevent failures.

If the tile or stone is strong enough so that it does not crack, all the movement then occurs at the grout line, and they fail.

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

You might try the websites dealer locator:

Here is a link that might be useful: dealer locator

• salmon_slayer
    14 years ago

I bought mine here http://www.tileyourworld.com/catalog/

Here is a link that might be useful: tile your world

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Two places I order from:

Tile-experts.com and tileprotection.com

Realize that a while ago Schluter tightened up their distribution chain, so as you discovered, some folks won't ship to certain areas.

Mongo

• weedyacres
    14 years ago

The one advantage of Ditra that no one has yet mentioned is that it's much easier/faster/cleaner to install than cement board.

I've bought my Ditra online from Indiana Floors. Quick shipping, good service.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indiana Floors

• tyler_ss
    13 years ago

I know there are various Schulter Ditra and Kerdi products for a competitive price on Amazon.com

• ecranny
    13 years ago

My local Home Depot (Tacoma, WA) has Ditra in stock. I don't know if they carry it everywhere, but maybe worth checking.

• RandellL_Ramos_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have 1/2" OSB over 3/4" diagonal planks. The Ditra Installation guide lists this as one of the types of floors. But, should I be hearing anything (not creaks, just a subtle popping) when I walk on the subfloor? I'm worried that I may need to lay another layer of 21/32 plywood on top, but the installation guide doesn't show installation on 3 layers of sustrate/subfloor.

• worthy
    13 years ago

If this is an older home--or even a newer home--perhaps the planking wasn't screwed down tight to the joists before the OSB was added. And the OSB may not be tight either. I have been in year-old homes that creaked and groaned like crazy for just that reason. You could go down in the basement and look up to see a series of nails that just missed the joists. When I build or renovate, the subfloor is glued, nailed and screwed.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

ditto.

your subfloor has to be solid before you think about adding a ditra like topping.

• osakans
    13 years ago

Apologies if this is thread highjacking, but this discussion struck me as the most appropriate for this inquiry.

When we were taking bids from contractors for our new construction house, one of the contractors specified a mud job for the master bathroom (both floor and shower) and kitchen/mudroom and Schluter Ditra for all other bathrooms.

In talking with a tile installer at a flooring store this past weekend, he said he couldn't think of a situation in new construction where a mud job (as contrasted to Ditra) would be appropriate. Is that right? We're not likely to be using any natural stone but we will likely be using large format porcelain (or possibly ceramic) tiles in some of the bathrooms (12x12, 8x24, etc.) We will have electric radiant heat pads in the floor of two of the bathrooms and hydronic radiant heat in the kitchen and mudroom.

We're flexible at this point and want to do whatever will make the installation safest and sturdiest for the long run even if it costs a little extra at this stage.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• worthy
    13 years ago

There's nothing wrong with a traditional installation. Some tilers simply won't work with Ditra or Kerdi because they never have and never will. I've had them turn down whole house jobs rather than use new materials. Perhaps there is some miscommunication re your quote.

BTW, Ditra works with radiant heating. See Installation Handbook at link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ditra Installation Handbook