Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmkalton_gw

Remodel Costs- SF Bay Area

hmkalton
11 years ago

We have plans drawn up for an addition/remodel to our house and initial figures being mentioned are 250K. I was wondering if this seems reasonable for a project of our scope.

We plan to add 575 sf and remodel an additional 600. The entire bedroom section of our house will be bumped forward and back and completely reworked. A total gut job. The end result will be 2 bedrooms plus 1 large master suite with separate shower and tub. An additional kids bath with dual vanity and shower/tub combo. A half bath and a new foyer.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

SF is a notoriously expensive area to have remodel work done in, so those numbers don't sound crazy for all that work. However, no one here could give you a reliable answer without seeing the plans, knowing the level of finishes, what structural alterations are needed, etc. If you want good answers you need to get at least 3 bids from people who have good references and experience working in the SF Bay Area. I know it's not the answer you may have wanted, but it's the only way to get a better sense of the economics of this project.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

A good answer above. The Bay Area is a big place and costs in Milpitas, or East San Jose, for example, may be quite different from, say, Atherton or Orinda.

Get competitive bids from several reputable builders. It's always the best way.

Without knowing and seeing your existing conditions, site and remodel plans, no one here can offer much more specific commentary.

Good luck on your project. We lived in Palo Alto/Mountain View for 17 years, so I feel your pain!

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I would actually say, it sounds a little low. :/ You are talking over 1100sq ft of building/changes. Alterations cost more than building new. Are there also changes to the foundation and roofline? Tying into the existing roof is an expensive part too.

I'm in Seattle area, not SF Bay area, and I'd say that is what I'd expect or even a little low, for this area.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

I don't live in SF, but I do have a good friend who does. Your costs sound WAY too low compared to what you are having done. You have to retrofit to all current seismic and fire codes. The location factor is usually double even locations inside CA due to the extensive regulation and high location costs that area firms are having to pass along to the customer themselves.

• aidan_m
    11 years ago

Do you have side yards, or are your neighbors' houses built right up against yours?

If you have a normal lot with setbacks, the cost per square foot is adequate for a bedroom remodel and addition of 2.5 baths. You're not touching the kitchen, right?

If you are on a lot with zero setback on both sides, this is going to be a real challenge to work with the budget, especially because no plans are yet approved!

I live in Pacifica. Those numbers would probably work out around here. There are just so many contractors, from every corner of the world. A highly skilled worker may earn $200-$250 per day around here, a low-skilled laborer, maybe $80 to $120. Materials cost the same, if not a bit less around here (when you know where to go) There are just so many places competing for business.

More info would definitely help!

• Nez123
    11 years ago

Hi there, I am curious to know what contractors you are using. we are about to get a quote for a extension as well in San Francisco and your price actually sound quite reasonable. Any info would be greatly appreciated! thank you :)

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

Does this include allowances for fixtures, tile, flooring, vanities, etc? If so, have you priced out these things and know you'll fall within the allowances? Has a structural engineer contributed to the plans to make sure everything is up to the latest earthquake standards?

If all that's the case then your number sounds pretty reasonable to me given the square footage you're adding, along with 2 and a half baths, if I've counted correctly.

I'm on the Peninsula and did a similar remodel plus kitchen. The big ticket items were design, framing, drywall, plumbing, electrical, windows/doors, painting, flooring and tile work. We bought and assembled all cabinets ourselves.

• hmkalton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all of the informative replies! We do in fact live in one of the designated pricey areas of the Bay Area (Orinda). We do have engineering drawings..and expect the formal bid any day now. The 250 might not include some owner furnished items (plumbing fixtures, flooring, tile) which I believe will add another 25K to the project.