Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jules34144

white vs wood in Lake house

jules34144
10 years ago

I am planning a total remodel of my main floor bathroom. I have a smallish lake home, and there is a lot of wood trim throughout the rest of the house. When we first purchased the home, I was very tempted to paint the trim as it is quite old and in need of replacing or some etlc, but we left it, realizing we would need to replace the windows anyway. Im sorry got off subject, I would like to do the Bathroom in a Cottage / White theme, is this going to look stupid?

Comments (5)

• luvmylabs2
    10 years ago

I think it depends on your preference and what style décor you also have. We are on a lake and in addition to trim, the great room and dining area are entirely wood,so we were very clear to the builder we are planning an addition with "not a spec of white trim allowed". In this house it would just not blend. But we know people up the lake that have mainly pine interior, including window trim in bathroom, and their vanity and medicine cabinet is a cottage style in white, came out very cute (but I will admit when I first walked into it years ago I was surprised). .

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

White trim will go with almost anything. It also easy enough to repaint later if you don't like it.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

If you aren't careful, you can certainly degenerate into "wood overload". Wood is visually busy to the eye, and a lot of it can be overwhelming. I was in a log home where they had all of the exposed structural logs, and rustic hickory cabinets, and rustic cherry floors, and a highly variegated fieldstone fireplace. Everywhere you looked was the pattern of wood. There was no place to rest your eyes.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that I think your plan to break up the wood with some solid color is a pretty good one.

• twosit
    10 years ago

wow, I saw this title and wondered if I had posted this after ambien :) We just purchased a lake "camp" and are doing renovations. We already had plywood on the bottom of the walls and painted sheet rock above. We had to choose what direction we would go..."cottage" or "camp". Since ours was just plywood and we were going to have to do something to it anyway we decided we would do painted cottage look.
    Since we have removed the ceiling and are leaving that natural--this is our inspiration pic.
    I think a colored vanity would be nice in your lake house.

Here is a link that might be useful: white walls with natural wood

• luvmylabs2
    10 years ago

Some of those pics are beautiful! It definitely can work, I just shy away from it as in our great room overlooking the lake the inside of the 4 sets of sliders is white, it catches my eye very day as "out of place", I don't like it. I think to like it I would have to change the trim and other things to pull it together, right now it stands out. I probably would like the wood overload referenced above!