Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanne94551

Bathroom floor tile quandary

joanne94551
9 years ago

Need advice re flooring tile for our master bathroom renovation.
We are going for a traditional look combined with contemporary elements.
Our custom vanity is cherry wood stained a medium dark reddish brown. At 92" long with two towers bracketing the ends, it will dominate the room. Countertop will either be a marble slab or a white quartz material.
We wanted a marble-look porcelain tile for the floor, but can't find the right white shade.

We found a dark gray 12x24 gray porcelain tile that we love, but I am afraid a dark gray tile will clash with the dark cherry vanity.

We had thought we'd find a marble-look glossy tile that matched the tile in the shower, but we can't find the pure white with gray striations to match the wall-only tile. I want to add blue accents in window covering, paint, and/or tile accents. I love blue-brown combos, and blue-gray combos, but will a blue-reddish-brown-gray combination work or clash dreadfully?

Photo shows the ceramic shower tile we are using with the dark gray tile next to a similarly stained cherry shelf.

Thanks for all opinions and advice. Feel free to share your experience with marble countertops in a bathroom, also.

Comments (14)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think the gray is fine. I think it "grounds" the floor of the bathroom.

• doctheokie
    9 years ago

I like the gray it goes well with the cherry.

• mag77
    9 years ago

Count me in - I like the grey, too.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Nice color combo!

• kendog2
    9 years ago

I think the gray tile looks stunning with the cabinet color. Personally, I hate the cold look of shiny marble floors. Shiny tile isn't usually a good choice in the bathroom because it can be very slippery so maybe it will turn out to be a blessing that you didn't find any that worked for you.

• hippy
    9 years ago

You most always have a winner with dark cherry and gray. And the shower tile will fit nicely.

Just me...

With the gray floor, White/gray shower and white baseboards and trim. I think I would consider something in white for the drawer and door pulls on the vanity and Bifold doors (if you have them). Just to tie it altogether. Soft White Porcelain with Silver Accents or Cream Ivory Swirl Bone from someone like Dwyer Home Collection..

Again.. Just me..lol

• Fori
    9 years ago

It's good!

• rantontoo
    9 years ago

I just saw a shower with this combo on Houzz earlier today...since I need to tile my ceiling also, the combo of dark grey and bluish grey-veined marble sealed the deal for me. Would you mind sharing the name of your solid dark grey tile?

• lam702
    9 years ago

I think it looks nice together. It looks like you have the same idea as we do, as far as the tiles go. We chose the marble porcelain with a gray floor, looks to be the same shade as what we chose. Only difference is we painted our oak vanity white rather than replace it. But I think the cherry looks great with the tile.

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

I love what you have so far shown in the pic - in fact I'm installing a charcoal color tile with either a cherry or maple stained cabinet. I like dark floors with wood accents and light countertops/shower tiles. The white tiles can be hard to match - I was having the same problem but finally found something at a tile shop I think will work (there are just so many shades of white and the ones I kept finding had too much yellow - I needed white white).

I'll post some pics to inspire.

Dark cabinet with dark floors and light countertops.. Looks good to me. I found the picture somewhere online - don't know the source...

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

another pic to inspire - don't know the source

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

Here's a pic of my laundry room - charcoal tile from lowes next to my hardwood which is darker with reddish undertones - I love both together.

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

When picking out types of materials, especially for countertops, you should be realistic as to what will be happening on or near them.
    For example, my husband is a bit of a slob. Yep, I said it! Therefore, I would never put marble countertops in either the kitchen or bathroom. He sloshes water everywhere and leaves it! He spills stuff and claims that he didn't see it, so the stain sits there for who knows how long. Now, if it were, say, tomato juice/sauce on marble, well, the marble just got ruined. Anything acidic can and will eventually eat through marble. Water continually splashing onto marble will eventually dull it.
    If you're pretty neat, and clean up spills right away, then go ahead and use marble, but if you're not, you may want to rethink materials.
    Just my 2 cents. BTW, your color choices are beautiful!

Nancy

• loves2read
    9 years ago

I am one of the few people out there apparently who does not care for gray--

so personally I would not choose that color combo--but have seen enough photos on Houzz and other sites to know that plenty of people DO like it.

If YOU do, then that is all that matters

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler