Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Double stock wall cabinets 10 ft ceiling

Posted by texasblacklab (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 17:37

Hello,

Our kitchen has 10 ft ceiling and we currently have 30 in wall cabinets leaving exactly enough room between the ceiling and the cabinet for another 30 in on top. I do not want to buy new cabinets (42 in) so my choice is either to get another 30 in and put on top or leave it as it is.

I would really like the cabinets to reach the ceiling and I could use the extra storage space but I wonder if two rows of the same size cabinet will make the kitchen look like a storage room or garage.

Has anyone seen this done or has done it, can you offer any insight as to what this may end up looking like when done?

Thank you very much for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Double stock wall cabinets 10 ft ceiling

If you have 10' ceilings, then you have 66" of space above the standard bottom alignment of cabinets, which is 54" above the finished floor. 30's on top of 30's would be a disproportionate stack, and have a top heavy feeling even though the cabinets would be the same size.

You could do 18"s on top, with 6" of crown and have 12" of space to the ceiling, or you could do 15"s with 6" of crown and have 15" of space to the ceiling.

If you truly want cabinets "to the ceiling" then the lower cabinet size has to increase to be able to work visually.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here