Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen pass through with counter or bar height breakfast bar?

Posted by Queenbeeof5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 26, 11 at 17:33

We are making upgrades to our kitchen and in the process are widening a breakfast bar pass through window to the family room to allow for 3 barstools. Breakfast bar is currently bar height, but I'm tempted to lower to same level as counter on other side to open up the two rooms more. We have a small home and will never have an eat-in kitchen, so thought this might be a way to add more function. This would be the closest thing we'll ever have to a table in the kitchen! But I'm afraid I won't like it!

Opinions? Do any of you have a same level breakfast bar in this situation? If so, could you post any photos? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen pass through with counter or bar height breakfast bar

I'm thinking you should post the question over at the kitchens forum, if you haven't already. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions and pics!

If you don't need to hide anything you'd rather not be looking at from your family room, I'd go with counter height. It will make the counter seem much more spacious than what you would get with a smaller, bar-height "shelf".

Have you done an image search for kitchen pass-thru?

o
pics

here ya go....TONS on google
counter height:
Photobucket
another counter height
Photobucket
bar height
Photobucket

o
RE: Kitchen pass through with counter or bar height breakfast bar

Oops! Thanks, shanghaimom! Meant to post to kitchen forum, but thanks so much for your input and the pics. I had not tried google image search. There ARE a TON of photos, and I think they've sealed the deal for us! We're going with the counter height bar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here