Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldensmom_gw

Feather River Doors

goldensmom
14 years ago

Just a caution out there to anybody who is looking at Home Depot Feather River Doors to purchase....DON'T DO IT!!!! I am on my 2nd front entry door (1st one was warped)& now the 2nd one is even worse. Foam leaking out everywhere from the oval window. Frame is cracking and Home Depot isn't going to do anything about it even though this door is worse than the 1st. Feather River hung up on me twice when I questioned about warranty & HD won't return phone calls.

I thought Frank Blake the new CEO would make a difference after Nardelli collected his millions to go away. Not!!!

Stay FAR AWAY.....

Comments (7)

• builder62
    14 years ago

I installed Preston Zinc Craftsman Smooth Fiberglass door on my own home and have never been so disappointed in a door.
    The first one I installed in April 08 and a 6 months later I noticed a problem with the door sealing. I put a 78" level on the door and it was bowed close to 3/8" of inch at the lock-set. Feather River told me warranty was void due to I didn't paint the door within the required time but was able to get HD where I bought it to replace the door because of the defect. The new door had a laminated wood core that was evident thru the lock-set holes and the old door was not a laminated core so I thought I had the problem fixed. Well the new door is having the sealing problem (January 2010) and guess what this one is bowed worse than the first one. I haven't called Feather River or HD yet but I think I am done with them. I will add I am a remodeling contractor and install doors all the time and have never had a problem with any exterior door from Lowes or other local suppliers. It is an embarrassment to have this door on my own home!

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

dont give tinsley care any personal info if you go this route. Advise? maybe, but deal with home depot direct

• joelzappta
    14 years ago

I sell doors and windows here in small town near Santa Cruz, CA. I shake my head at some of your comments so let me give you some pointers

IÂm not sure if these complaints are towards wood, fiberglass or steel door.

Wood doors are costly and hard to maintain if you have a lot of weather, the wood used these days isnÂt the same as 30+ years ago. They fall apart fast because the lumber comes from engineered planted trees, so the wood isnÂt as dense. Will warp and crack, splinter, needs to finished or painted as soon as possible and then up kept annually.

Fiberglass, very energy efficient, beautiful prefinished colors available, but just like wood doors need to be maintained in regards to finish.

Steel doors, energy efficient, inexpensive. But again you need to paint, watch for rust and the dent super easy you will need to replace these within a few years.

Finally out of the three; Fiberglass is generally the best for environment and most cost effective. But whatever door you get, its only as good as you care to read the instructions and follow the suggestions from the door producer. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. And I have to add, there is no such thing as a maintenance free door.

P.S. Stay away from glass storm/security doors or if you do have them make sure air can escape thru they can crack your glass, make the caulking melt and will especially in steel door could cause a blow out. Good Luck

• jimscanlon_fedtax_com
    12 years ago

I purchased a Feather River fiberglass door. The door warped after about a month. they said they would replace it but they would not pay for having the new door refinished. The new door came and it would not fit in the space even though the doors were supposedly the same size.
    Feather River does not seem to be a business to deal with.

• judithn
    12 years ago

Another unhappy Feather River customer here. Special ordered a custom door from HD. It was wrapped too tightly to make inspecting it at the store feasible. Once we got it back on site to our kitchen reno and inspected it, we found multiple flaws including wood gouges and deep scratches that went beyond normal manufacturing defects. Couldn't return it -- the contractor needed it and anyway, transporting it back to the store w/o the rental truck would have been difficult. Painted and puttied to attempt to correct the flaws. Still burns me up when I think about what I paid for this "special order" piece of you-know-what!

• nofeather
    11 years ago

NO FEATHER RIVER DOOR THEY ARE JUNK THE COATING FADES AND PEELS MY DOOR IS THREE YEARS OLD AND I COATED IT MYSELF AND THE DOOR LOOKS 10 TO 15 YEARS OLD THE FINISH IS POOR CRAFTSMANSHIP DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE DOORS!!! I WISH I WOULD HAD READ AND RESEARCHED BEFORE I DID BUY THIS PEICE OF ****!!!