Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joslin44_gw

Baby Boomer Needs Remodel Ideas

joslin44
11 years ago

I'm needing to rent out part of my non-updated 1700 sq ft house for income, but want my privacy! And, on a shoestring budget! And I am talking very "college student type" living accommodations...nothing fancy like most of you have! : ) My thought: 1.Turn garage into efficiency (would need bathroom and some kind of flooring, as current cement floor gets wet. There are W/D connections but no sink in garage.) 2.Make kitchenette in living room (ten feet from kitchen and/or W/D connections in garage)and then split house by simply locking a living room door. 3. Make back den an efficiency by installing a bathroom (three feet from W/D connections in garage, thru common wall. I know each idea sounds kind of far fetched, but I won't be able to stay in my modest house without some extra income. (I work more than full time, and am 65) I'm in a good area for students, so think it will appeal to that kind of tenant. Thank you.

Comments (2)

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

Well you have asked a tough question to answer based on the info at hand.

1-Is your location legally able to be zoned for having an income suite? You will want to be insured to protect your investment, and this may not be possible if you are breaking the law.

2-How much can you afford to spend in this process?

3-Does your home currently have only 1 full bathroom, or are there 2? Are you on a slab, or do you have a basement or crawlspace.

4-Do you have sufficient electrical at the panel to support 2 households? Will the renter be metered separately?

5-Heating and cooling. Adding to a legal garage will require a separate system. If you abandon the garage function, this may give you more options.

• User
    11 years ago

None of what you propose is going to be cheap or easy. It will also require permitting and approval from your city. Neither of which they may give as it can involve rezoning as well.

I'd suggest simply taking in a quiet studious roommate rather than attempting to create an apartment. That gets you income right away with no hassles from the city and no expense on your part. Or if privacy is that important to you, then sell the home and move some place smaller and less expensive.