Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to butt a wall against a stone chimney?

Posted by timberframe4us (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 16:19

I have a true stone chimney, and I want to build a wall that butts up against it. Can anyone point me in the direction of learning how to do this? Google searches yield lots about adding a stone facing, building a wall *against* masonry (as opposed to butting the end of the wall to the irregular stone), etc. It seems that I don't even know what to search.

I couldn't decide the best forum to place this in, so if you have suggestions for a different one, I'll try that too. This isn't really a remodel, unless you count going from unfinished to finished as remodeling:) Adding a wall seems like remodeling though.

With the appropriate knowledge I'm sure we are capable of doing this. We built pretty much the entire timber frame home, including the stone chimney. (We actually would have contracted out the stone chimney, but couldn't find a mason.) Late in the process, we did have enough money that we were able to contract out a couple of other portions simply to speed things up. All that is pretty much to say, please don't tell me to find someone to do this for me (unless you happen to know just the right person in my locale!).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to butt a wall against a stone chimney?

I think a diagram and a picture would help here. Not sure what you mean by "against" the chimney.

o

Learn how to scribe.

o

Combustible materials in contact with masonry chimneys are regulated by residential building codes so you should start there.

o

Drywall is not a combustible material.

Neither is plaster or drywall joint compound.

o

I didn't see any mention of drywall or plaster.

o

I didn't see any mention of drywall or plaster.

o

"I want to build a wall that butts up against it."

Drywall is the most common wall finish around.

o

I would assume any finish would be attached to wood studs but they could be metal studs. I would help if the OP would explain the issue in more detail. If the chimney exists why not post a photo?

o

Thanks for the replies. I've been swamped with my "day job" this week and am just now getting a chance to check back. I suspect a sketch or floorplan will be more helpful than an actual photo. I'll work on providing all three.

We haven't decided on final materials, but most likely drywall. What will work best up against the chimney is a major factor in the decision. Regarding the studs, I assume those will be metal, as thats what we used near a brick chimney.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here