Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timberframe4us

How to butt a wall against a stone chimney?

timberframe4us
11 years ago

I have a true stone chimney, and I want to build a wall that butts up against it. Can anyone point me in the direction of learning how to do this? Google searches yield lots about adding a stone facing, building a wall *against* masonry (as opposed to butting the end of the wall to the irregular stone), etc. It seems that I don't even know what to search.

I couldn't decide the best forum to place this in, so if you have suggestions for a different one, I'll try that too. This isn't really a remodel, unless you count going from unfinished to finished as remodeling:) Adding a wall seems like remodeling though.

With the appropriate knowledge I'm sure we are capable of doing this. We built pretty much the entire timber frame home, including the stone chimney. (We actually would have contracted out the stone chimney, but couldn't find a mason.) Late in the process, we did have enough money that we were able to contract out a couple of other portions simply to speed things up. All that is pretty much to say, please don't tell me to find someone to do this for me (unless you happen to know just the right person in my locale!).

Thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH