Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkhall

Toilet drain line through floor joists? (x-post)

kirkhall
12 years ago

I had this post on the plumbing forum, but they suggested I take it to this forum.

I am in the planning for a remodel (and will be talking with a plumber soon). But, I was hoping I could get one question answered (this should be easy):

What size 2by joist is needed if you need to run a toilet-size drain pipe through it in order to get it to a drop wall (from second story to crawl)?

The toilet would be the only fixture on the run through the joists in this fashion (other fixtures would join in a joist-space near the drop).

I know needing to do this will add cost--having to cut holes for the drain line adds labor. But, I am just wondering how big the joist needs to be. (I have at least 2x10s, not sure if they are 2x12s yet (haven't crawled up there and moved insulation out of the way), and they span no more than 9 feet.

Comments (10)

• renovator8
    12 years ago

The IRC says if you stay at least 2 inches from the top and bottom, the largest hole allowed is the actual joist depth/3 so the short answer is the joists will need to be 2x12's which is unlikely for a 9 ft span but you might get lucky.

• kirkhall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Renovator. (I hope I am lucky. :) )

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Or just use a sheet metal repair unit on a smaller joist.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

I just posted on the plumbing thread. About using flat bar to reinforce.

kirk you also need to post how far from the joist end the hole will be. Too close is not permitted, because the weight of the floor rests on the joist ends resting on something else.

• kirkhall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We would be able to cross the joist wherever along its length was structurally "best". I don't believe we will have a limitation on that.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

instead of crossing the pipe diagonally in the middle of the floor, it is best (for the drain pipe) to cross right where the toilet is: the "closet bend" under the toilet would go straight to the joist. So, in terms of distance from the joist end, where is the toilet' closet bend now?

• kirkhall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There is not a current toilet in the space. Here is my proposed layout:

From GWfloorplans

The dotted line running E-W between the Master and the hall bath is a beam supporting the floors--used to be an exterior wall downstairs.

The only place for a down drain is along the exterior wall (W wall) of the proposed hall bath--at the end near the drawn hall bath toilet (not at the end near the Master bath Toilet. The joists run N-S in this area.

The circled S is the location of the current stack for the house/downstairs bath. In this plan, I think the hall bath vanities can be drained to either the toilet lines and W, or to the old stack.

The Master bath sinks and shower would require a much smaller down line (what are those called, anyway?), and could more easily be dropped down the W wall again. (under all this space is an open great room).

• davidro1
    12 years ago

You need DWV design help. This is because you wrote that the hall bath vanities can be drained either ... or... (which is not true in a well-designed DWV system). Depending on where the whole-house outlet is, your choice will be clear.

It's a different question from the one about reinforcing a joist or two. At http://www.terrylove.com/forums/forum.php you can get help with DWV. Draw North and South on your diagram.

• kirkhall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My mistake. It would be best to send the hall bath vanities to the old stack. Our house used to have a septic out the south of the house. Then, before we purchased it, it was converted to sewer, which is in the street (north).

North and South are true to the orientation of the picture, North up, and South down.

Thank's for Terry's forum information.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Prefabricated sheet metal reinforcement is usually limited to one unit per 2x10 or 2x8 solid sawn No. 2 Southern Pine joist with a clear span not exceeding 15-0 for 2x10âÂÂs and 12-0 for 2x8âÂÂs with the center of the hole more than 12â from a support. Other smaller holes must be at least 20 inches away. The maximum hole diameter is 6 inches in 2x10âÂÂs and 4 1/2 inches in 2x8âÂÂs.

This kind of reinforcement is recognized by building codes but adding a strap would usually need an engineer's stamp.